Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Oscar Celada <oc...@renta4.es> on 2010/10/14 17:49:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Reserving a thread for request against mod_jk in apache server.

I have installed apache httpd 2.2.10 with mod_jk 1.2.28 and tomcat 6.0.29 (a
cluster with six nodes).

Some times apache has all his threads busy (512), in theses moments I want
to change same parameter in the jk module
(I know which is the tomcat of my cluster that cause this problem and I want
check out this node from my cluster).
The problem is that the apache is collapsed and It doesn't response that the
request that I do against the jk module (I suppose that is because apache
doesn't has got one free thread).

Is there any way to book one thread for request against mod_jk in the apache
server?

Thanks in advanced.

RE: [users@httpd] Reserving a thread for request against mod_jk in apache server.

Posted by Oscar Celada <oc...@renta4.es>.
Hello:

I've configured the mod_jk with the default configuration of 1.2.30 version,
at the moment, the problem has not appeared , when it will appear I'll see
that this solution works well.

Thank you so much for your help.

On 14.10.2010 17:49, Oscar Celada wrote:

> I have installed apache httpd 2.2.10 with mod_jk 1.2.28 and tomcat
> 6.0.29 (a cluster with six nodes).
>
> Some times apache has all his threads busy (512), in theses moments I
> want to change same parameter in the jk module (I know which is the
> tomcat of my cluster that cause this problem and I want check out this
> node from my cluster).
> The problem is that the apache is collapsed and It doesn't response
> that the request that I do against the jk module (I suppose that is
> because apache doesn't has got one free thread).
>
> Is there any way to book one thread for request against mod_jk in the
> apache server?

No, either you have to detect the situation in advance, so that not all
threads are aleady blocked - which under high load might be difficult - or
you have to switch to other solutions:

- configure better timeouts for mod_jk, so that those threads don't stay
stuck. See for example the sample configuration contained in the mod_jk
1.2.30 source tarball download. The sample configuration in older mod_jk
downloads is pretty outdated.

- set activation for the broken Tomcat to "stopped" in the
workers.properties and do a hard "restart" of Apache (which will also stop
all other running requests, but in such a situation it is unlikely that the
web server is still able to serve requests).

In case there's more questions: the right list to discuss mod_jk is the
Tomcat users mailing list.

To subscribe, send mail to

    users-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org

Regards,