Posted to users@maven.apache.org by kristian <m....@web.de> on 2010/08/19 18:06:23 UTC

I need to share how to improve maven's performance

hi,

since I found out how to improve performance of maven3 significantly
on my linux box, I thought I need to share this:

just set
$ export MAVEN_OPTS=-client

see a little "benchmark"
http://gist.github.com/538194

the improvement remains even for longer maven runs.

regards, Kristian

Re: I need to share how to improve maven's performance

Posted by rpomeroy <rp...@me.com>.

Jason van Zyl-2 wrote:

> Sweet. We can look at the various platforms and see if we can apply this
> option across the board. Even if it's only for linux we can add it there.
>
> On Aug 19, 2010, at 9:06 AM, kristian wrote:
>
>> hi,
> snip...

So can someone explain exactly what this flag is doing?

Regards,

Ron

Re: I need to share how to improve maven's performance

Posted by kristian <m....@web.de>.
have a look at  some tips how to improve startup time for jruby and
some of it holds true for maven as well:

http://blog.headius.com/2010/03/jruby-startup-time-tips.html

with regards, Kristian

Posted by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu>.

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
To sum up:

   - Maven's JVM under 32-bits windows is not concerned. Hotspot always
   defaults to client vm under Windows.
   - Then for Linux or other platforms, with current typical machines, it's
   very often defaulting to Server VM.
   But it can vary, and is precisely explained in the link Hervé put (more
   directly, see here :
   http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ergo5-140223.html#0.0.%20Garbage%20collector,%20heap,%20and%20runtime%20compiler%7Coutline
   ).

For the record, I just checked on my 32-bits windows box, and there's no
difference between the two executions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

2010/8/21 Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>

> here are some explanations: [1] and [2]
>
> [1]
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/hotspotfaq-138619.html#compiler_default
>
> [2] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ergo5-140223.html
>
> Le jeudi 19 août 2010, Jason van Zyl a écrit :
> > Sweet. We can look at the various platforms and see if we can apply this
> > option across the board. Even if it's only for linux we can add it there.
> >
> > On Aug 19, 2010, at 9:06 AM, kristian wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > since I found out how to improve performance of maven3 significantly
> > > on my linux box, I thought I need to share this:
> > >
> > > just set
> > > $ export MAVEN_OPTS=-client
> > >
> > > see a little "benchmark"
> > > http://gist.github.com/538194
> > >
> > > the improvement remains even for longer maven runs.
> > >
> > > regards, Kristian

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason

> > Jason van Zyl
> > Founder,  Apache Maven
> > http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> >
> > A language that doesn’t affect the way you think about programming is not
> > worth knowing.
> >
> >  -— Alan Perlis

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: I need to share how to improve maven's performance

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.