Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2014/11/01 07:47:19 UTC

Flex SDK "dependencies"

Hi,

When compiling the Flex SDK to JS with FalconJX (not Falcon), I get errors
if I don't include these files:

-source-path=mx.logging.targets.MiniDebugTarget

-external-library-path=fds.swc

At first I could not find these files at all (they are not in the repo),
but finally Google found them for me: the 'MiniDebugTarget.as' was last
seen as part of the Adobe Flex 3.6 SDK and 'fds.swc' is/was part of
'something something LiveCycle' and can only be found in some guy's Github
repo.

2 questions: how do I get rid of these dependencies, it seems the SDK to
SWC compilers don't need them? And: if I can't get rid of them, what would
be the best way to find and include them?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

> >I'll step through FalconJX again, but at some point the stack jumps to
> >Falcon for the actual compilation, so I'm not sure what I might be able to
> >achieve on "my" end.
>
> For sure, the code jumps to Falcon and Falcon reports the error.  I’m
> thinking that there is a Configuration difference causing whatever logic
> that determines which files to compile to pick up the lookUpOnly classes.
> FalconJX code may need to override that Configuration, or override the
> function that decides to try to compile that file.

Actually, it was worse than that: the original author copied the relevant
classes from Falcon to FalconJX. I was looking at the Falcon classes and
those are OK. Only when I compared them to the ones in FalconJX, I noticed
an entire block that was omitted from the copy, or added to Falcon later,
that excludes the 'lookupOnly' classes from a manifest ... I added that
code to FalconJX, and now all seems fine ;-)

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/3/14, 12:00 PM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

>> So it looks to me it is running FalconJX’s compc, not Falcon’s.  So the
>> issue is probably that FalconJX’s compc doesn’t know how to ignore
>> lookupOnly entries.  For FlexJS, we are not using COMPC to compile the
>>SDK
>> so we’ve probably never hit this.
>>

>I'll step through FalconJX again, but at some point the stack jumps to
>Falcon for the actual compilation, so I'm not sure what I might be able to
>achieve on "my" end.

For sure, the code jumps to Falcon and Falcon reports the error.  I’m
thinking that there is a Configuration difference causing whatever logic
that determines which files to compile to pick up the lookUpOnly classes.
FalconJX code may need to override that Configuration, or override the
function that decides to try to compile that file.

>>As this concerns the SDK (the Spark project, kinda central ;-)) and
>>Falcon
>> >(not FalconJX) I was hoping that someone recognised the
>>'MiniDebugTarget'
>> >reference and would know why it is still referenced by current SDKs,
>>when
>> >the code for it was last seen in SDK v. 3.6?
>>
>> A google search found this:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-20327
>>
>> MiniDebugTarget probably needs to be deprecated but we could try
>>removing
>> it.
>>

>As there is no actual code, just a reference to code that was already
>removed, the only thing to remove would be those references ...

Well, we could remove MiniDebugTarget from the manifest and see what blows
up.

-Alex

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/3/14, 10:48 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

>This is not touched by the code I'm writing. This is what the compiler
>(Falcon) puts out when I feed it the entire SDK (with the arguments as
>listed in "FlexSKDToJS.sh").

OK, I spend time reading this .sh file you wrote. I see this line:

java -jar
"/Users/erik/Documents/ApacheFlex/git/flex-falcon/compiler.jx/lib/compc.jar
" ${ARGS}

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

> >>allow
> >>
> >> Don’t know for sure.  It appears it is used to add entries to an xml
> >> namespace without actually including the source in the SWC.  That allows
> >> us to have mx:ArrayCollection also appear as s:ArrayCollection without
> >> having to duplicate code.  So I think you can just skip trying to
> >>compile
> >> anything with lookupOnly.
> >>

> >"you can just skip" ... Me? This is Falcon and SDK code. I wouldn't dream
> >of touching it ...
>
> I’m not familiar with the code you are writing.  I have no idea what
> differences there are between what you are trying to do and the code you
> are running vs what the functional test that has Falcon compile every SDK
> SWC is.  The latter seems to be working.

This is not touched by the code I'm writing. This is what the compiler
(Falcon) puts out when I feed it the entire SDK (with the arguments as
listed in "FlexSKDToJS.sh").

So that means to me that there is something in your setup that is causing
> Falcon to care about those manifest entries.  I see there is a
> Configuration option about lookupOnly.  Not sure if it will make a
> difference or if your setup is defaulting to a different value for it, or
> maybe in the logic Falcon is using to choose source to compile, your code
> has to tell it to skip those units.

This doesn't touch my code, not by a long shot. If I feed FalconJX the
arguments as listed in "FlexSKDToJS.sh", Falcon cannot even begin
compilation (production of the AST), it just quits when it tries to figure
out which compilation units it should visit.

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

> >Not sure what the 'lookupOnly="true"' means ... does that attribute allow
> >the old compiler to ignore the lack of a 'MiniDebugTarget.as' file
> >anywhere
> >in the SDK?
>
> Don’t know for sure.  It appears it is used to add entries to an xml
> namespace without actually including the source in the SWC.  That allows
> us to have mx:ArrayCollection also appear as s:ArrayCollection without
> having to duplicate code.  So I think you can just skip trying to compile
> anything with lookupOnly.

"you can just skip" ... Me? This is Falcon and SDK code. I wouldn't dream
of touching it ...

I can try to comment out the lines in the manifests? As there is no source
(*.as) to match this entry anyway, what use is it to have the entry?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Flex SDK "dependencies"

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Yeah, I stepped through the code till my feet hurt ;-) That didn't give me
anything, as the errors are thrown when the compilation units are still
being gathered, so no actual compilation is done.

A search of the entire SDK gives these references to 'MiniDebugTaget':

/Users/erik/Documents/ApacheFlex/git/flex-sdk/frameworks/spark-manifest.xml:295
 <component id="MiniDebugTarget" class="mx.logging.targets.MiniDebugTarget"
lookupOnly="true"/>

/Users/erik/Documents/ApacheFlex/git/flex-sdk/frameworks/projects/framework/src/mx/logging/Log.as:57
*
 There are two targets provided: <code>MiniDebugTarget</code> and

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht