Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tomcat Random <to...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/02 00:41:36 UTC

Clean up after building and installing ARP on RHEL 6

Spent a while getting APR installed and my logs are now showing no warning
and indicate the native libraries are working. As per the docs: "The
libraries will be found in $CATALINA_HOME/lib" - Yup, that's fine.

But it seems like I have APR/native directories in several places now.

Are the APR libraries in lib self-contained? Anyone know if other
directories or files related to their build are safe to delete?

Examples:
/usr/bin/apr-1-config
/usr/local/www/apache-tomcat-7.0.42/bin/tomcat-native-1.1.27-src/jni/native

Would not be heartbroken if I had to wget the same files to rebuild. I'm
sort of a neat freak with stray files and would rather rm them.

Best,
Alec

Re: Clean up after building and installing ARP on RHEL 6

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Alec,

On 8/1/13 6:41 PM, Tomcat Random wrote:
> Spent a while getting APR installed and my logs are now showing no
> warning and indicate the native libraries are working. As per the
> docs: "The libraries will be found in $CATALINA_HOME/lib" - Yup,
> that's fine.
>
> But it seems like I have APR/native directories in several places
> now.

Did you actually compile APR or just tcnative?

> Are the APR libraries in lib self-contained? Anyone know if other
> directories or files related to their build are safe to delete?
>
> Examples: /usr/bin/apr-1-config
> /usr/local/www/apache-tomcat-7.0.42/bin/tomcat-native-1.1.27-src/jni/native
>
>  Would not be heartbroken if I had to wget the same files to
> rebuild. I'm sort of a neat freak with stray files and would rather
> rm them.

The usual build(s) will yield dynamically-linked libraries. That means
that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the JVM process needs to ultimately
contain libtcnative.so, libapr.so, and libssl.so. The latter two are
likely provided by your OS via package-manager, and live in /lib or
/usr/lib and you don't have to worry.

The libtcnative.so lives in $CATALINA_HOME/lib as you've said before.
You can remove the entire directory you used to build libtcnative.so
(and associated symlinks -- you probably have 3 or 4 files and/or
links... it's best to keep them all in their original configuration).

If you had to build libapr.so as well, then toss that set of files
into CATALINA_HOME/lib and delete from anywhere else you had them
sitting around for compilation purposes, etc.

That you have /usr/bin/apr-1-config suggests that you have a
package-managed install of libapr -- don't touch that. You can
probably safely delete
/usr/local/www/apache-tomcat-7.0.42/bin/tomcat-native-1.1.27-src and
its contents. You can always re-expand from the tarball and re-build,
right?

- -chris