Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Juan José Gil <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/18 01:34:29 UTC

Adapting Cayenne to GAE/J

Hi, I was looking for messages where this theme was discussed, but its been
more than a year since last chat about it.

Is there someone trying to adapt cayenne to run on GAE/J?

If not, were can I read about defining datanodes or a dbadapter, I'm thinking
on defining somethin to "start" with, using only the "static mapping abilities"
of cayenne (covering only properties), and from there see how to implement the
bast and powerfull api of cayenne :)

Do some of you found it interesting?

Re: Adapting Cayenne to GAE/J

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Aug 19, 2010, at 7:38 PM, Andrei Ionescu wrote:

> I guess I forgot about threading as there are some GAE/J restrictions there too:
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_App_Engine#Restrictions

This is where 3.1 IoC features may come handy... E.g. to redefine an EventManager to be noop/single-threaded, and to reimplement other possible conflicting pieces.

Andrus

Re: Adapting Cayenne to GAE/J

Posted by Andrei Ionescu <ai...@yahoo.com>.
>> It looks like this was done by replacing calls to the file system with
>> in-memory implementations + an init filter to be used for GAE/J,
>> so maybe some similar approach would work for Cayenne too?
> It should.   File system dependencies are the primary issue with
 >
> getting GAE apps working.   I think H2 Database now works under GAE,
> so that would probably be a good starting DB to be testing Cayenne
> against in that environment.
I guess I forgot about threading as there are some GAE/J restrictions
there too:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_App_Engine#Restrictions

Other frameworks solved this by using some java.util.concurrent.*
alternatives, as these classes are whitelisted:
   http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/jrewhitelist.html

regards,
Andrei.

Re: Adapting Cayenne to GAE/J

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Adapting Cayenne to GAE/J

Posted by Andrei Ionescu <ai...@yahoo.com>.
> I know some folks who were looking it this privately, but AFAIK no code has come out of this effort yet, so yes,
> this task is up for grabs and it would be cool if someone makes it happen.
+1.
Bob Schellink managed to update Click to make it run on GAE/J, and it
would be really cool to have Cayenne running there too, since for many
projects Click+Cayenne is the default choice.
See more here how it's done:
http://click.apache.org/docs/extras-api/org/apache/click/extras/gae/package-summary.html
and some live Click examples running on GAE/J here:
http://click-jquery.appspot.com/

Re: Adapting Cayenne to GAE/J

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi,

I know some folks who were looking it this privately, but AFAIK no code has come out of this effort yet, so yes, this task is up for grabs and it would be cool if someone makes it happen.

Cheers,
Andrus