Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Adamo, Vince" <Vi...@vignette.com> on 2007/05/14 21:21:42 UTC

Merging result files from remote servers

The JMeter FAQ includes the following in the response to the question
"How to do remote testing the 'proper way'":

"Running JMeter in non-GUI (batch) mode is preferable, as this uses far
fewer resources. The output log files can be merged after the test run
and used to create overall test statistics. (CVS files can just be
appended to each other; XML output files need a bit of editting to
maintain well-formedness.)"

This implies that there is a way to configure the JMeter servers to
write result data to local files and then these files can be copied and
merged after the test run completes.  Is this a correct interpretation?
If so, what is unclear in any documentation I've read so far, is how I
would configure the remote servers to accomplish this.

I am running version 2.2 in non-GUI mode (using the JMeter ant task)
with two remote servers and have been unable to determine how to develop
a test script or modify the jmeter.properties file to make this happen.
In all cases it appears results are being returned to the client, where
data is then written to a result file.

Thanks,
Vince

Re: Merging result files from remote servers - AGAIN

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/05/07, Adamo, Vince <Vi...@vignette.com> wrote:
> Okay, thanks...I now understand my problem.  I was trying to accomplish
> this using a central jmeter instance running in non-gui mode starting up
> with distributed nodes running jmeter-server.bat.
>
> Running independent instances of jmeter, though, does not appear to be a
> desirable configuration.  I want to coordinate the start of each remote
> server (and corresponding thread groups) so load is applied consistently
> across the remote servers.

You could use the Synchronize option for the test plan - unfortunately
at present the start time cannot be a variable, so you would need to
edit the files.

Or maybe the OS provides suitable timers?

Or you could perhaps use a script on one server and use SSH or RSH etc
to start the jobs in quick succession.

> I suspect I need to look at the various remote batching modes.  Can
> someone point to any documentation on these modes (other than what is in
> the properties file)?

There is none, apart from the source ...

RE: Merging result files from remote servers - AGAIN

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Adamo, Vince" <Vi...@vignette.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by grasper9 <gr...@gmail.com>.
Please assist with the script or code to merge jtl files retrived from jmeter
from remote systems using STAF.

Thanks.

Re: Merging result files from remote servers

Posted by grasper9 <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14/05/07, Adamo, Vince <Vi...@vignette.com> wrote:

> The JMeter FAQ includes the following in the response to the question
> "How to do remote testing the 'proper way'":
>
> "Running JMeter in non-GUI (batch) mode is preferable, as this uses far
> fewer resources. The output log files can be merged after the test run
> and used to create overall test statistics. (CVS files can just be
> appended to each other; XML output files need a bit of editting to
> maintain well-formedness.)"
>
> This implies that there is a way to configure the JMeter servers to
> write result data to local files and then these files can be copied and
> merged after the test run completes.  Is this a correct interpretation?

Not exactly.

You can use non-GUI test runs to write to local files.

For example:

host1: jmeter -n -t test.jmx -l host1.jtl
host2: jmeter -n -t test.jmx -l host2.jtl
host3: jmeter -n -t test.jmx -l host3.jtl

Copy host*.jtl to a single machine and then do the merge.

A JMeter server is different. JMeter server refers to the remote
JMeter instance that is controlled by a GUI (or non_GUI) client to
which the results are returned. There's no need to merge the results
as this happens in the client.

But this method uses more resources as the client has to handle all
the response traffic, and the server has the additional load of
sending the data remotely.

> If so, what is unclear in any documentation I've read so far, is how I
> would configure the remote servers to accomplish this.

See above - servers are not used in this situation.

> I am running version 2.2 in non-GUI mode (using the JMeter ant task)
> with two remote servers and have been unable to determine how to develop
> a test script or modify the jmeter.properties file to make this happen.
> In all cases it appears results are being returned to the client, where
> data is then written to a result file.

See above.