Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/05/13 20:58:13 UTC

RE: [Wings] charting development

Keiron,

this could be of interest for the charting stuff needed for Forrest
(http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/xml-forrest/): we plan to provide
xml.apache.org visitors with number of downloads, commits, mails, etc...
preferably also in a graphical presentation. We have been trying to do
some direct XML2SVG using XSLT but that is painful at best.

Could your stuff be packaged as a Cocoon component? Is there some place
where we can take a look at it?

Bye,

</Steven>

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "John Morrison" <jo...@ntlworld.com>

> > From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
> >
> > John,
> >
> > > I did a search of Google and sourceforge and,
> > > although I know Keiron from the FOP development I've not found
> > > any mention of wings (at least, nothing to do with Java Chart
> > > development ;)
> > >

> > Keiron is proposing to contribute his own unnamed code to Wings, I
> > believe...
>
> Would it be better placed in the Cocoon project (third party if
> necessary)?  I know *I* could use it for some of the project's I'm
> involved with...

It can be placed anywhere, but as for Community, I think that Cocoon
scratchpad or contrib is not the answer.

I had more commits on wings on krysalis than in Cocoon scratchpad for the
Cocoon Chart2Svg Transformer.

> > Wings itself is situated at
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-wings/
> > currently, but doesn't offer any XML i/o as far as I understand. Having
> > an XML input to a charting package would be cool and alleviate some of
> > the Forrest burdens, I guess...
>
> come to that, does wing's plug into Cocoon or Krysalis/Centipede?

Wings is just a charting package.

> > A friend mentioned http://www.object-refinery.com/jfreechart/, doesn't
> > have any XML input, too, plus it uses LGPL as a license...
>
> I don't know what licenses we can/can't use :(  I think it's a shame
> we can't all work together.
>
> I'll take a look at the jfreechart, perhaps we could come up with a common
> DTD/Schema for describing charts in XML?  Thats what I wanted to do with
> the code I contributed to Batik - start a development going, but nothing
> caught :(

Well, the primary goal of Wings is to become a charting package API.
Secondly of having an Apache license implementation.

I had a discussion with JChart main dev, and asked him to merge with
Krysalis.

He thinks that LGPL serves him better...

Anyway, we just had a volunteer on the krysalis list to make the Cocoon
Chart Transformer working.

Krysalis is a momentum builder, and it's starting to work.

We are constantly in the top 100 on sf, and 20 on the mailing list, growing
per 2-3 a day.

I think that it's a good opportunity for starting new projects, don't you
think?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: [Wings] charting development

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
John,

> > Keiron is proposing to contribute his own unnamed code to Wings, I
> > believe...
>
> Would it be better placed in the Cocoon project (third party if
> necessary)?  I know *I* could use it for some of the project's I'm
> involved with...

Hm. I definitely have more control over what is being added to Forrest
;-)

We are working on some book.xml replacement and I will add that to
Forrest if no-one protests, too.

Seriously: if this stuff is useful for Forrest, maybe they will better
be taken care of within Forrest - I don't have too much time left to
explore Krysalis/Cocoon scratchpad/contrib areas.

> > Wings itself is situated at
> >
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysal
is-wings/
> currently, but doesn't offer any XML i/o as far as I understand.
Having
> an XML input to a charting package would be cool and alleviate some of
> the Forrest burdens, I guess...

> come to that, does wing's plug into Cocoon or Krysalis/Centipede?

Not that I know, but Nicola will sure answer that ;-)

Wings uses Centipede, but that's another issue.

</Steven>

RE: [Wings] charting development

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
> From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
>
> John,
>
> > I did a search of Google and sourceforge and,
> > although I know Keiron from the FOP development I've not found
> > any mention of wings (at least, nothing to do with Java Chart
> > development ;)
> >

> Keiron is proposing to contribute his own unnamed code to Wings, I
> believe...

Would it be better placed in the Cocoon project (third party if
necessary)?  I know *I* could use it for some of the project's I'm
involved with...

> Wings itself is situated at
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-wings/
> currently, but doesn't offer any XML i/o as far as I understand. Having
> an XML input to a charting package would be cool and alleviate some of
> the Forrest burdens, I guess...

come to that, does wing's plug into Cocoon or Krysalis/Centipede?

> A friend mentioned http://www.object-refinery.com/jfreechart/, doesn't
> have any XML input, too, plus it uses LGPL as a license...

I don't know what licenses we can/can't use :(  I think it's a shame
we can't all work together.

I'll take a look at the jfreechart, perhaps we could come up with a common
DTD/Schema for describing charts in XML?  Thats what I wanted to do with
the code I contributed to Batik - start a development going, but nothing
caught :(

Anyway, thanks for the links,

J.

RE: [Wings] charting development

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
John,

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
This could *definately* be of interest, is there a web page/code
we could look at?  I did a search of Google and sourceforge and,