Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ro...@digitalphx.com on 2005/02/28 16:17:04 UTC

Headers in forwarding messages

Im sure this has been asked before, when someone forwards me a spam email
that has gotten through to their box and I want to feed it to bayes, could
this cause inaccurate results because of the additional headers added by
the forwarding? If so is there a setting in SA to resolve that issue?

Thanks
Robert

Re: Headers in forwarding messages

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 10:17 AM 2/28/2005, robert@digitalphx.com wrote:
>Im sure this has been asked before, when someone forwards me a spam email
>that has gotten through to their box and I want to feed it to bayes, could
>this cause inaccurate results because of the additional headers added by
>the forwarding? If so is there a setting in SA to resolve that issue?

No, that would be impossible.. Forwarding doesn't just add one or two
headers, for many headers it replaces them. Most mailclients also re-encode
the body (ie: what was base64 encoded may no longer be... mime boundaries
are different, etc), and some add text to the body.

The resulting message from a forward does not resemble the original, and
cannot be reconstructed to match the original in any straightforward way.

Your best bet is to try to find a way to forward as an attachment, strip
the attachment, and train that.