Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/25 17:25:05 UTC

Challenging priority : HIVE-2910 Improve the HWI interface

Hi,

Here is my stand. Hive provides a dsl to easily explore data contained in
hadoop with limited experience with java and MapReduce.
And Hive Web Interface provides an easy exposition : users need only a
browser and the hadoop cluster can be well 'fire-walled' because the
communication is only through http.

I saw the work of HIVE-2910. Of course, it could still be improved. But it
was needed and it is a great first step. I don't see it as a minor
improvement. That is a great way for promoting the HWI.
As such, I think it is a shame the patch was only applied for the 0.10
version and not for the 0.9.1. Is there any reason for that? Is there any
change that it could be added to the 0.9.0? Do you have any estimate for
the release date of the 0.9.1 version?

Of course, there is at least an alternative : Beeswax within Hue but CDH is
a big dependency that can not just be added because the end user requires a
decent interface.

Thanks in advance for all feedback

Bertrand

Re: Challenging priority : HIVE-2910 Improve the HWI interface

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
And now I have to apologize. I was one version late for hive (0.8.1). And
the version 0.9 does include HWI with bootstrap. The jira must be
misleading or I don't understand what the issue is about...

Bertrand

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Challenging priority : HIVE-2910 Improve the HWI interface

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
Great answer. Thanks a lot.

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Challenging priority : HIVE-2910 Improve the HWI interface

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.