Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2001/06/13 00:21:13 UTC

Xerces-j works with JDK1.1.8 again

Hi folks,

As of this evening, if you do a fresh cvs checkout of the Xerces 1
codebase, it'll compile and run under JDK1.1.8.

It would be very interesting to see how many users are actually interested
in this functionality.  It's not hard to maintain in Xerces-1, but if no
one cares then in Xerces-2 perhaps it will make sense to drop support for
JDK1.1.8.

In any event, Xerces-j 1.4.1 should be usable with this JDK.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  416-448-3519, T/L 778-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: Xerces-j works with JDK1.1.8 again

Posted by Jean-Claude Dufourd <Je...@enst.fr>.
I am using this 1.1 version to be able to package the application with
jexegen (Microsoft SDK) as a sort of exe, together with Retroguard as
obfuscator (I cannot obfuscate the Xerces part, of course).

neilg@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> It would be very interesting to see how many users are actually
> interested
> in this functionality.  It's not hard to maintain in Xerces-1, but
> if no
> one cares then in Xerces-2 perhaps it will make sense to drop
> support for JDK1.1.8.

Best regards
JC

Re: Xerces-j works with JDK1.1.8 again

Posted by Neil de Hoog <ne...@v2.nl>.
And please don't forget Apple users running system 8 or 9 only have a
java 1.1 jvm available.

--
Neil de Hoog

neil@v2.nl
neil@lunatech.com

Re: Xerces-j works with JDK1.1.8 again

Posted by Ian Roberts <ir...@decisionsoft.com>.
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Milind Gadre wrote:

> Neil, the primary (only ??) reason one would support JDK1.1 is perhaps
> Internet Explorer compatibility. Maybe I am wrong. If IE is the only /
> primary reason, the question to ask is how many folks use Xerces within
> an applet. Perhaps they can use the Java plug in.

It's not IE itself that's the issue, it's the MS JVM.  Xerces needs to
stay Java 1.1 compatible if people are to be able to deploy it in COM
components.  Maybe this won't be such a problem once MSXML 4 is stable,
but until then I'll stick with Xerces as a tried and tested
schema-validating parser.

Ian

--
Ian Roberts, Software Engineer        DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com

Re: Xerces-j works with JDK1.1.8 again

Posted by Milind Gadre <mi...@ecplatforms.com>.
Neil, the primary (only ??) reason one would support JDK1.1 is perhaps
Internet Explorer compatibility. Maybe I am wrong. If IE is the only /
primary reason, the question to ask is how many folks use Xerces within
an applet. Perhaps they can use the Java plug in.

I would support dropping JDK 1.1 support, as migrating to Java 2 would
have some significant benefits. Use of the Collections api's and
resulting performance gains being one of them.

Regards...

Milind Gadre
ecPlatforms, Inc
901 Mariner's Island Blvd, Suite 565