Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Andrew Perry2 <PE...@uk.ibm.com> on 2004/06/25 17:30:26 UTC

Axis Client is not thread safe.

Hi,

I have built and attempted to run the WinClient Calculator service
threading tests supplied by Lahiru Wimalasiri. The test fails. It seems
that 1 instance of the stub is overwriting the other instance and this
causes an exception. If I amend the test code to only instantiate 1
instance of the Calculator stub then it works, regardless of whether the
Calculator stub is in the main program or a thread. Running the supplied
test with 2 stubs instantiated, 1 in each thread, then the tests fail and 1
of the threads just crashes. It is not consistent which thread crashes. I
have also tried this with 1 instance of the Calculator stub in the main
program and 1 in a thread and it fails the same way.

I have written a Java version of Calculator web service running on
WebSphere and this works OK.

This seems to show that the Alpha 1.2 version of axisclient.dll is not
thread safe.

Regards

Andrew Perry
Web Services Client Technologies Test
perryan@uk.ibm.com
Mail Point 102
IBM UK Laboratories. Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants. SO21 2JN
Tel. Internal 24-9828  External + 44 (0)1962 819828
Fax. + 44(0)1962 818080