Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Nipur Patodi <er...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/29 14:40:13 UTC

Dynamic rebalancing and reconfiguration

Hi All,

I know that we have Storm rebalance command available to rebalance running
topology
 as per number of tasks per component assigned while submitting topology (
source
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17257448/what-is-the-task-in-storm-parallelism>
).

My question is If I want to reconfigure my running topology, to use more
number of bolts or/and spouts tasks than configured while submitting, what
is the right approach?

#1) Submitting new equivalent topology and let both run in parallel?
If No? What can be the side effects?

#2)  Kill Already running and submit a new topology with more number of
tasks?
Swap topology feature
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/storm-user/201403.mbox/%3C86c78063b2af49feb19cc84753be38db@BN1PR03MB251.namprd03.prod.outlook.com%3E>
looks promising in this case. Do we have any ETA for this feature?

#3)  Dynamically reconfiguring topology: Can storm signals
<https://github.com/ptgoetz/storm-signals>  help in increasing task count
of already running topology?

Thanks in advance !

_Nipur