Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at> on 2006/01/03 02:00:05 UTC

Re: [Studio Creator] Re: Can we use several package of jsf components together ?

Hi Edwin - Craig , it sort of becomes OT,
but I have been toying around
with Creator2 and it becomes amazing.
I created 3 data aware forms in no time.

But there are some issues which struck me.

a) EJB functionality for creating that stuff seems
to be not there
(EJB3 especially slowly becomes interesting
with session beans being the source as data providers)

b) What struck me, and had stricken me before is
that there is lots of functionality in base classes.
While this makes sense in the case that some rendering phase
stuff has been simplified and you have simplified access
to the managed bean handling, it roots into the com.sun hierarchy.
While this is not bad per se, is there the sourcecode to
all this available, and if yes under which license.

(Besides that I am not too much of a fan of pushing
functionality into base classes because you loose your one and only
possibility of inheritance, but that is more a personal issue)

But besindes that an amazing tool, I am really looking
forward to use it seriously one time in the future.
It definitely is a big contender for being the best JSF ide
currently available. (Version 2 I mean, I never was happy with version 1
due to its limitations)

What I really liked first was the user interface designer and
also the idea of having visual compound componentization via partial
forms was excellent.

I am really looking forward to see more of myfaces in this thing.
having more components can never hurt although the component set already
is impressive.

Werner

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 1/2/06, Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi Edwin - Craig , it sort of becomes OT,
> but I have been toying around
> with Creator2 and it becomes amazing.
> I created 3 data aware forms in no time.
>
> But there are some issues which struck me.
>
> a) EJB functionality for creating that stuff seems
> to be not there

Correct ... Creator 2 is about *consuming* web services and EJBs that
already exist. I like NetBeans 5 for doing the creation part.

(EJB3 especially slowly becomes interesting
> with session beans being the source as data providers)

EJB3 (or, more generally, the Java Persistence API -- and the new web
service JSRs for that matter) is definitely something we're looking at for
the next round.  These specs are not final yet, though, so we don't really
want to make Creator 2 wait for them.

b) What struck me, and had stricken me before is
> that there is lots of functionality in base classes.
> While this makes sense in the case that some rendering phase
> stuff has been simplified and you have simplified access
> to the managed bean handling, it roots into the com.sun hierarchy.
> While this is not bad per se, is there the sourcecode to
> all this available, and if yes under which license.

The source code is available (just not in an obvious place) -- see "rave2.0
/docs/appbase-src.zip" in your Creator install.  You can attach a library
reference to this, for example, if you need to debug through these classes.
There are javadocs as well, which are accessible under the "Application
Model Reference" topic under Dynamic Help.

All of the EA release is under an "evaluation only" license.  For the
upcoming final release, you'll be able to redistribute the application model
classes (as well as Creator's component library) with your apps.

(Besides that I am not too much of a fan of pushing
> functionality into base classes because you loose your one and only
> possibility of inheritance, but that is more a personal issue)

That's one of the places we made a tradeoff for code simplicity.

But besindes that an amazing tool, I am really looking
> forward to use it seriously one time in the future.
> It definitely is a big contender for being the best JSF ide
> currently available. (Version 2 I mean, I never was happy with version 1
> due to its limitations)

We like Creator 2 a bunch as well :-).

What I really liked first was the user interface designer and
> also the idea of having visual compound componentization via partial
> forms was excellent.
>
> I am really looking forward to see more of myfaces in this thing.
> having more components can never hurt although the component set already
> is impressive.

There's no such thing as too many components :-).

Werner

Craig