Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> on 2003/02/24 16:13:14 UTC

RE: [Tapestry-developer] Why doesn't the Conditional comonent not accept informal parameters ?

Tapestry has constantly evolved to meet end-user's needs and desires.  In
some cases, there's a compelling technical reason why Tapestry works in a
particular way, but in a case like yours, its just a matter of nobody else
getting irritated enough to report and fix the problem.  Remember that
everybody will have a different set of "itches" that need "scratching".  For
example, one recent user was dissapointed that the Insert component didn't
insert "&nbsp;" when the value was null (this can be important when you use
a lot of tables for layout).  That was his itch.

One of the big benefits of Tapestry is that the core components, those
provided with the framework, have no special nature to them.  If you look at
the code, they invoke no private methods, perform no special typecasts.
There's no reason why you can't, at least temporarily, create your own
version of the Conditional component that works exactly how you want it to.

In fact, you can *replace* the existing Conditional component.  Simply
create a component in your application named "Conditional" and Tapestry will
use that component, not the framework component, on all the pages in your
application.  Eventually, a newer version of the framework may have the
updates you want and you can simply delete your Conditional component
without changing your pages at all.

Because Tapestry is open source, you can see the code for Conditional.  I
think if you look at the code for Insert as well, you'll know how to create
a component that does exactly what you need.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components