Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Joshua Messing <js...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/09 19:29:40 UTC

Error in my paper

I had a research essay that I had spent a good amount of time on. I opened
it today and was presented with a odd message called the ASCII filter
options (which have never happened before) and the document consists of
nothing but # symbols. Please help me fix this issue.

Thank you,
Joshua Messing

Re: Error in my paper

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 13:29:40 -0400
Joshua Messing <js...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a research essay that I had spent a good amount of time on. I opened
> it today and was presented with a odd message called the ASCII filter
> options (which have never happened before) and the document consists of
> nothing but # symbols. Please help me fix this issue.
>
> Thank you,
> Joshua Messing

You file is corrupted.  Look for a backup file in the directory  pointed to be /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths : Backup and change the bak extension to odt.  Look also in the temp directory pointed to by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths : Temporary files (or similar words).  If there are files with arbitrary names such as afgdh.jgr, change the extension to .odt and see if they open with some or all of your data.  Download an Undelete utility Such as Recuva or PhotoRec and see if it finds any deleted copies of your file or of relevant temporary files.

If all fails  you may have to revert to a backup - you do have a regular backup routine?
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Error in my paper

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> I had a research essay that I had spent a good amount of time on. I opened
> it today and was presented with a odd message called the ASCII filter
> options (which have never happened before) and the document consists of
> nothing but # symbols. Please help me fix this issue.

Apache OpenOffice version=?
Operating system=?
What file type did you save as?

Kind regards