Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Ronald Spierenburg <ro...@luminis.nl> on 2006/05/30 15:22:23 UTC

error running felix on java 1.3

Hello,

I'm trying to run Felix on sun java 1.3.1_18, but I unfortunately did not succeed in doing just that.
All of the following is done with a fresh SVN checkout.

ronald@ronald:~/felix/trunk/org.apache.felix.main$ java -version
java version "1.3.1_18"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_18-b01)

ronald@ronald:~/felix/trunk/org.apache.felix.main$ java -jar bin/felix.jar

Welcome to Felix.
=================

Enter profile name: test

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.getFrameworkVersion(Felix.java:3399)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.initializeFrameworkProperties(Felix.java:3371)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.start(Felix.java:330)
        at org.apache.felix.main.Main.main(Main.java:191)

And indeed, the stringbuffer.indexOf used on line 3399 does not exist in java 1.3.
I didn't check any further for java 1.3 incompatibility errors. Is Felix supposed to be able to run on java 1.3 ?

All the best,

Ronald Spierenburg

Re: error running felix on java 1.3

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Yes, Felix should be able to run on Java 1.3...and that is also the intent.

I just committed a fix for the issue you point out below (so 'svn
update'). After fixing the issue I was able to bring Felix up under JDK
1.3.1.

Eventually, we need to compile Felix against the execution environments
supplied by the OSGi Alliance to avoid these types of bugs from creeping
in. Please report any other issues you find as bugs against the
Framework component in JIRA.

Thanks for the feedback.

-> richard