Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Christian Dutaret <cd...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/10 17:50:52 UTC

[T4.1.2] Using tapestry app behind a proxy server

Hi all,

I have many complaints from users using my T4.1.2 application from behind
some proxy servers. Basically, all JS/Ajax stuff gets broken.
Unfortunately I don't have any proxied environment available here, and no
way to build one (our web access is shared across several companies, and
they wouldn't let me modify it for my tests).

So what I found closest to a proxy server for my tests is to use a web proxy
(you know, one of those web sites that hide your IP and allow you to visit
any site "anonymously"). I get the exact same broken behavior when I use one
of those (I used http://www.webproxy.fr which is a french one, but I guess
anyone would do).
>From what I understand from the js errors, the problem relates to relative
URLs used in some js calls. I think the web proxy replaces any URL that
begins with my domain name by a proxied URL. It can't guess that the
relative URL inside a js call is also to be proxied, resulting in attempts
to retrieve js at the web proxy server root, which obviously do not work.
This happens e.g. with the baseRelativePath parameter in djConfig or the
registerModulePath call for tapestry dojo-related stuff.

Just for you guys to be able to see it for yourself, I tried to access the
time tracker demo app through the web proxy, and it also results in broken
js.

I'm not sure the problem is the same with proxy servers, so if there are any
proxy expert around, I'd be very happy to hear from them ;-)

Is there any way to work around this problem (like generating absolute URLs
instead of those relative ones, but again, I don't know dojo enough to tell
if this is feasable).

Thx for any inputs

Ch.

Re: [T4.1.2] Using tapestry app behind a proxy server

Posted by Christian Dutaret <cd...@gmail.com>.
That's good news. Thanks.

Anyone behind a Micro$oft proxy? (don't ask me why I ask this, pure
speculation...)

Posted by Johan Maasing <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Dutaret <cd...@gmail.com>.
I agree with you about those web anonymizers, but I do have some users
behind real HTTP proxies for whom my application js/ajax stuff do not work.
I'm sure there are some proxies for which it does work, but I know for sure
there are some for which it doesn't, and the symptoms are very similar as
those I'm facing using a web proxy.
I'm really not an expert on proxying technology, but is there any proxy
product out there that might actually rewrite URLs or something alike?

And since you do use such a proxy, could you try one of my pages :
http://www.hyperassur.com/assurance-auto-recherche.html and then click on
the sponsored link labelled "ASSURANCE RESILIEE" and see if it works for
you. The link is supposed to open a dojo dialog with a short form (please do
not submit the form, unless you need to subscribe a french insurance
contract ;-). I'd be very grateful if you could do that.

Thx
Ch.

Posted by Renat Zubairov <re...@gmail.com>.
Hello Christian,