Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Kelcey Damage (BBITS)" <ke...@bbits.ca> on 2012/07/06 21:14:18 UTC

RE: Planet Cloudstack

Just moving this over to the dev list.

We are building a blog aggregator, kindly hosted by jlkinsel.

Please use this thread for discussion.

Kelcey Jamison-Damage

Infrastructure Systems Architect

Backbone IT Service | Backbone Datavault | Backbone Technology

55 East 7th Ave Vancouver - BC Canada V5T 1M4

kelcey@bbits.ca | 604-331-1152 ext. 114

RE: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

RE: Planet Cloudstack

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 07:44:19PM +0000, John Kinsella wrote:
> Next - what aggregator to use.

Drupal and WordPress might be overkill here. I haven't set up a planet
in quite some time, and the original Planet Planet software seems to be
unmaintained.

There's MoonMoon (fork of Planet) though, which seems to be relatively
well-maintained. See on GitHub:

https://github.com/mauricesvay/moonmoon

Homepage: http://moonmoon.org/

Haven't used this myself, but I could do a quick test install this
weekend to see if it's reasonable to set up.

Best,

Joe

--
Joe Brockmeier
http://dissociatedpress.net/

RE: Revived: Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BBITS)" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
+1 I agree,

Getting this going before September would be awesome and help push the
Apache CloudStack brand to a wider audience for the 4.0 release.

Kelcey Jamison-Damage
Infrastructure Systems Architect

Backbone Technology | Backbone Datavault | Backbone IT Services

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
First - apologies to everyone, I've been crazy busy this week, haven't had time to focus on this.

I chatted with folks on #asfinfra this morning. As we want to allow non-committers to submit feeds to the aggregator, they are reasonably concerned with non-committers producing content which shows up on ASF sites without moderation.

What we came up with is this:
 * ASF will give us a VM to run http://planet.cloudstack.org on. By using this instead of planet.apache.org/cloudstack, we're able to include non-committers.
 * Committers will control adding feeds (of committers, developers, or users) to the aggregator (I'll put together a wiki page describing what's acceptable)
 * Infra will set this up for us, after I submit a Jira request, after we conduct a procedural vote.

I think that's reasonable and within the bounds of what we talked about.

I'll be sending out a VOTE email shortly. If you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to voice them.

John

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Infra already runs planetapache, so there might be a way to reuse some of that if another is set up on a VM.

Another option is that the project can blog on our Roller install. It's less individual / distributed, but good for official communication and can be done now: http://blogs.apache.org/

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Revived: Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
That was me. I let it slip onto the back burner but will see what progress I can make this week.

John

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:

> I know that there's a LOT going on right now, so blogging may not be top
> of mind for folks - but it'd be good if we could get this sorted out.
> While everyone is working on getting 4.0 out the door is *exactly* when
> it'd be good if folks were blogging about what they're doing and perhaps
> helping to encourage others to get involved.
>
> The activity that's on -dev is amazing, but it's less visible than it
> could be.
>
> IIRC there was discussion on #CloudStack of asking Infra to provision a
> VM to run planet.cloudstack.org. I don't recall who volunteered to pick
> that up, though. I'd be happy to help, but I'm not a committer right now
> so I don't think they'd hand over the keys to me.
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 09:30:21AM -0700, Kelceydamage@bbits wrote:
>> Have we found out whether we can get a custom ruleset for an apache planet site?
>>
>> If not I suggest we go ahead and host with jlkinsel.
>>
>> It's more important to get this working then worry too much about the method. We can always redirect the content later.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>

> --
> Joe Brockmeier
> http://dissociatedpress.net/
> Twitter: @jzb

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

Revived: Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

--
Joe Brockmeier
http://dissociatedpress.net/

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Kelcey Damage (BBITS) <ke...@bbits.ca>wrote:

> Maybe we should keep it as an independent community project for now.
>
> We don't want alienate the people we are trying to build this for.

I agree with that approach for the time being at least

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

RE: Planet Cloudstack

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

RE: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BBITS)" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
Most planet sites avoid TM issues by being considered FAN sites, and the
derivative.

And as for content, I meant ALL users by community, and not specifically
contributors. :)

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 03:52:44PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:

> just a step back, I think part of the goal would be to get content up
> from users as well as committers, as often the user blogs are useful
> in a way that committer blogs might not be.

+1 to this.

There's a lot of folks working with CloudStack that aren't and aren't
likely to be doing a lot of development - but are working with
CloudStack in installations that would be ripe for providing helpful
tips, etc.

Best,

Joe
--
Joe Brockmeier
http://dissociatedpress.net/

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

RE: Planet Cloudstack

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by "Senner, Talin" <se...@wildcardcorp.com>.
For powerful features such as feeds in and out, i'd recommend Plone +
Feedfeeder via PYPI. We use it for news and blog aggregation on some
sites with great success. With the power of Plone you also get
discussions, commenting, granular security, self signup etc.. as well.

Talin
Wildcard Corp.

http://cdig.me  -  http://www.wildcardcorp.com
Secure Web CMS Hosting - CDN - DNS - IPv6

Security.Technology.Solutions
*We do it all for you*

RE: Planet Cloudstack

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
On Jul 6, 2012, at 12:57 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 02:14:18PM -0500, Kelcey Damage (BBITS) wrote:
>> Just moving this over to the dev list.
>>
>> We are building a blog aggregator, kindly hosted by jlkinsel.
>
> Possible goals for the aggregator:
>
> 1) allow CS developers to post about their CS work (e.g. pull specific
>   tagged RSS feeds)
>
> 2) allow CS users to post about their CS work (e.g. pull specific
>   tagged RSS feeds)
>
> 3) allow CS developers to post anything (not necessarily CS-related),
>   as a way to build community by knowing a little more about each
>   other.

I'd like to see a mix of all 3.

> What do people want to see?  Personally, I'm OK with all three.  But
> our choice may affect where it's hosted and who runs it.
>
> Wherever possible I'd like to see CS use ASF Infrastructure
> (e.g. planet.apache.org/cloudstack).  That reinforces our commitment
> to being an Apache project.  I don't know how to go about getting
> access to such, but would be willing to learn.  I couldn't find
> examples of other Apache projects having their own aggregators, so we
> may be breaking new ground here with ASF Infrastructure.

I agree with the idea of using a.o infrastructure…Question is if it's flexible enough for what we're thinking - planet apache seems to be specifically for committers. Do we want the scope to be that narrow?

It looks like https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/planet/committers.ini should have support for multiple planets, but looking at the feeds, it seems like it's taking general blog feeds, not specifically posts related to a specified topic…

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Matt Domsch <Ma...@dell.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 02:14:18PM -0500, Kelcey Damage (BBITS) wrote:
> > Just moving this over to the dev list.
> >
> > We are building a blog aggregator, kindly hosted by jlkinsel.
>
> Possible goals for the aggregator:
>
> 1) allow CS developers to post about their CS work (e.g. pull specific
>    tagged RSS feeds)
>
> 2) allow CS users to post about their CS work (e.g. pull specific
>    tagged RSS feeds)
>
> 3) allow CS developers to post anything (not necessarily CS-related),
>    as a way to build community by knowing a little more about each
>    other.
>

> What do people want to see?  Personally, I'm OK with all three.  But
> our choice may affect where it's hosted and who runs it.
>
> Wherever possible I'd like to see CS use ASF Infrastructure
> (e.g. planet.apache.org/cloudstack).  That reinforces our commitment
> to being an Apache project.  I don't know how to go about getting
> access to such, but would be willing to learn.  I couldn't find
> examples of other Apache projects having their own aggregators, so we
> may be breaking new ground here with ASF Infrastructure.

We can have a blog for the project on which committers can add blog
entries, but I believe users won't be able to write to it

In that case a committer can add a blog entry to the user's one

For using our own blog aggregation I don't see a problem about it, and for
the trademarks issues we can just stick to it and that is all which are not
much IIRC.

Having our own Blog aggregation does not mean that we are not committed to
the community, but maybe what can be offered now does not provide us with
all what we need.

For sure we could check with the INFRA team 1st and see what can be done
about that and whether we can setup something using which we can give
access to users or not.

I can get in touch with them by tomorrow.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

RE: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BBITS)" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
As long as it remains community driven and managed.

This should be about sharing knowledge and not introducing any form of
bureaucracy of tiering in content.

Re: Planet Cloudstack

Posted by Matt Domsch <Ma...@dell.com>.