Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/02/15 01:44:19 UTC

James 2.3.0a1

Stefano,

The release is at http://cvs.apache.org/dist/james/.

> I updated JIRA to reflect the 2.3.0a1 release (instead of 2.3.0) and
> added slots for 2.3.0a2 and 2.3.0 final.

> So we have the 2.3.0a1 release notes here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10411&style
Name=Html&version=10690

> We should also link this document (http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesV2)
> that currently is the only guide to upgrade a james 2.2.0 to james
2.3.0a1.

Would you mind posting an announcement to the user list with this
information, and the other issues you posted separately?

	--- Noel

Re: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> The release is at http://cvs.apache.org/dist/james/.
> [..]
> Would you mind posting an announcement to the user list with this
> information, and the other issues you posted separately?

I just posted the announce to the general list (here
http://james.apache.org/download.cgi we say we announce releases in the
general list).

Maybe we should send an announce to the user list, too.

I also updated changelog.xml in the site repository in SVN but I don't
know how to *publish* changes to the site. I think I read it somewhere
on the apache docs but I cannot find it right now. Can you help me?

I also plan to update the download page to give more visibility to this
alpha builds, and maybe we should also add an homepage news, to let the
world know something is happening :-) (please help me with a news text,
because my english is not good enough for an homepage!)

Stefano

Re: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.
On 2/15/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Serge Knystautas wrote:
>
> > I'm personally not convinced with switching to derby as the default
>
> Only for alpha.  We want more testing, and this is one way to try and get
> it.
>
> > the conf file in the svn release tag has large TEMPORARY DEFAULT text
> > next to these new defaults.  I'd prefer we get this cleaned up, at
> > least before a 2.3 final release.
>
> They ARE temporary defaults.  :-)

Thanks for the explanation (and the laugh). :)

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Man, I'm behind this week's email.
>
> I'm +0.2 on the new release.  I'm personally not convinced with
> switching to derby as the default, but if you guys have blessed it as
> reliable, then great.
>
> ...however... the conf file in the svn release tag has large TEMPORARY
> DEFAULT text next to these new defaults.  I'd prefer we get this
> cleaned up, at least before a 2.3 final release.

I totally share your doubt about derby. This is an alpha release mainly
because we want to be able to do *changes* before 2.3.0 and not only
bugfixes.

I don't use derby and probably other james developer using the current
trunk are not using derby too, but, as a default, the idea of an
embedded db is good, so I hope that people will download this alpha and
report here a good feedback, or we'll decide what to do for the next alpha!

The large TEMPORARY should help testers understand that this is not an
official switch and that it could change in following alphas.

I hope that we'll have a faster release schedule for the following
alphas (we probably don't even need to vote for this kind of releases)
the next months and I would like to have a 2.3.0 final in summer 2006.

Stefano

RE: James 2.3.0a1

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: James 2.3.0a1