Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "John B. Moore" <jb...@microps.com> on 2004/02/07 01:06:59 UTC

System.out.println, Where art thou?

Moved up to Tomcat 4.1.18 (from 3.x) and I've seemed to have lost the
ability to see stdout statments in the log files.. In addition my
Log4j loging output failing to appear. (another issue, but maybe
related..)

what is most puzzling at this point is that basic

System.out.printlin("some text here...");

..does not appear ANYWHERE!!! An obviously I need to resolve this
issue first.. (as it may provide some hints as to what is happening to
the configuration of Log4j..since I use basic out.println to debug the
various configuration settings. )

I'm assuming/hopping I need to turn something on... (that was
formerly default on in the previous version I was using)

I added a SystemOutLogger to both the Host context and the specific
webapp context.. nada.. (all that did was log stuff that was already
showing up)..

what is interesting is that when I use Tomcat "IN" JBuilder (version
4.1.27) all the logging shows up and all the expected log files show
up.. Looking at the server.xml that is generated by JBuilder I can
not see that it is setting anything "special"... obviously something
is different.

So.. anyone have any ideas as to how to surface the output of the
basic "System.out.println"...???

Any clues as to what I can try next is appreciated..

John..

Re: System.out.println, Where art thou?

Posted by Filip Hanik <de...@hanik.com>.
/logs/catalina.out if you started with startup.xxx

Filip

Posted by "John B. Moore" <jb...@microps.com>.
I agree, it "should be.."  it is not.. I have not change ANY default
settings that came "out of the box"..

 This is why I'm so stumped..  I have tested this on two installs.. (one
on NT4 and one on WinXP) both are failing...  It works fine when run
within JBuilder using 4.1.27..

   ???????

    John...

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.

Posted by "John B. Moore" <jb...@microps.com>.
Sometimes it is threaputic to face one's stupidity...

Anyway, it was pilot error...  I use JBuilder (which has an embedded
Tomcat) for my development and in versions prior to the latest (JB9 and
before) the url pattern was

  http://localhost:8080/servercontext/servletname

..in JB10 this changed to ...

http://localhost:8080/servletname

.. I had gotten use to this "pattern" and my servlet context and name
were very nearly identical.. so I had entered what amounted to....

      http://serverhere/servercontext

  ..instead of getting a "resource not found" or somesuch...  it loaded
because Tomcat loaded

     http://serverhere/servercontext/index.jsp

...which in my application was NEVER loaded by itself and only should be
loaded by the controller servlet after extensive setup and
configuration..  The error was just enough "legitimate" looking that it
did not flag what was really happening.. and I never clued in on  what
was really happening until I had gutted my controller to load a simple
"html" form and instead the index.jsp still loaded...

    <sign>

Posted by "John B. Moore" <jb...@microps.com>.
Correction it is 4.1.28 not 4.1.18... sorry..

Posted by "John B. Moore" <jb...@microps.com>.
Update:

     Well, when things get wierd it is best to go back to basics....

      I created a very simple servlet with System.out.println statements
and deployed it.. That works fine and the output shows up in the
stdout.log.  That means there is something in the servlet code that is
mucking things up...

     For me this is good news.. at least I have a starting point...  to
find with it is that is blocking the output...

     John...