Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by James Abbatiello <ab...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/21 03:23:04 UTC

svntest parsing output of `svn proplist --verbose`

Currently svntest parses the output of `svn proplist --verbose` to
retrieve the list of properties for an item.  When the output format
of this command changed between 1.5 and 1.6, svntest was updated to
understand the new format (but only the new format).  As a result you
need matched versions of svn and svntest in order for it to function
correctly.  It is not forward or backward compatible.

This is apparently not a problem for development of Subversion but
cvs2svn pulls in svntest as an external and uses it with whatever
version of svn that the user currently has installed.  Things break
when the user doesn't have the expected version installed.

It would be nice if svntest would be able to query properties
successfully even when run with 1.5.  Writing a parser that
understands both text formats seems difficult but there's the '--xml'
option to output in XML format and it seems made for just this
situation.  Is there something precluding the use of the XML format
for svntest?

--
James Abbatiello

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2372805

Re: svntest parsing output of `svn proplist --verbose`

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar
Arahesis<ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009-07-28 06:49:22 David Glasser napisał(a):

>> > Nor do I, just as long as we make sure to still test the "standard"
>> > output somewhere in the testsuite.
>>
>> The Python versions we support ship with an XML parser, right?
>
> Apparently yes:
>
> $ python3.1 -c 'from xml.dom.minidom import parseString'

I didn't even think python3.1 was *a* version we support, let alone exhaustive.

--dave

--
glasser@davidglasser.net | langtonlabs.org | flickr.com/photos/glasser/

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2376872

Re: svntest parsing output of `svn proplist --verbose`

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Ar...@GMail.Com>.

$

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:49 AM, David Glasser<gl...@davidglasser.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Hyrum K. Wright<hy...@hyrumwright.org> wrote:

>>> I don't think there is anything precluding the use of "svn proplist
>>> --xml" for svntest's property-checking functions.
>>
>> Nor do I, just as long as we make sure to still test the "standard"
>> output somewhere in the testsuite.

prop_tests.py covers most of 'svn proplist', except ... 'svn proplist --xml'.

> The Python versions we support ship with an XML parser, right?

The test suite already tests the output of 'svn diff --summarize
--xml' in svntest/actions.py using expat, so we're ok for python 2.4
<= version < 3.0.

Lieven

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2376905

Re: svntest parsing output of `svn proplist --verbose`

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2376207

Re: svntest parsing output of `svn proplist --verbose`

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.
On Jul 27, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Julian Foad wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 23:23 -0400, James Abbatiello wrote:
>> Currently svntest parses the output of `svn proplist --verbose` to
>> retrieve the list of properties for an item.  When the output format
>> of this command changed between 1.5 and 1.6, svntest was updated to
>> understand the new format (but only the new format).  As a result you
>> need matched versions of svn and svntest in order for it to function
>> correctly.  It is not forward or backward compatible.
>>
>> This is apparently not a problem for development of Subversion but
>> cvs2svn pulls in svntest as an external and uses it with whatever
>> version of svn that the user currently has installed.  Things break
>> when the user doesn't have the expected version installed.
>>
>> It would be nice if svntest would be able to query properties
>> successfully even when run with 1.5.  Writing a parser that
>> understands both text formats seems difficult but there's the '--xml'
>> option to output in XML format and it seems made for just this
>> situation.  Is there something precluding the use of the XML format
>> for svntest?
>
> I don't think there is anything precluding the use of "svn proplist
> --xml" for svntest's property-checking functions.

Nor do I, just as long as we make sure to still test the "standard"
output somewhere in the testsuite.

-Hyrum

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2376202

Re: svntest parsing output of `svn proplist --verbose`

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 23:23 -0400, James Abbatiello wrote:
> Currently svntest parses the output of `svn proplist --verbose` to
> retrieve the list of properties for an item.  When the output format
> of this command changed between 1.5 and 1.6, svntest was updated to
> understand the new format (but only the new format).  As a result you
> need matched versions of svn and svntest in order for it to function
> correctly.  It is not forward or backward compatible.
>
> This is apparently not a problem for development of Subversion but
> cvs2svn pulls in svntest as an external and uses it with whatever
> version of svn that the user currently has installed.  Things break
> when the user doesn't have the expected version installed.
>
> It would be nice if svntest would be able to query properties
> successfully even when run with 1.5.  Writing a parser that
> understands both text formats seems difficult but there's the '--xml'
> option to output in XML format and it seems made for just this
> situation.  Is there something precluding the use of the XML format
> for svntest?

I don't think there is anything precluding the use of "svn proplist
--xml" for svntest's property-checking functions.

- Julian

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2375991