Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Blake Nicholson <to...@package.com> on 2003/04/22 23:41:29 UTC

question about saving after exception thrown during initial save

I am using Torque 3.0.0, Oracle 8.1.6.

I have a class called BaseCustomList.java that was generated by Torque.  It
contains the following method:

     public void save(Connection con) throws TorqueException
     {
         if (!alreadyInSave)
         {
             alreadyInSave = true;

             // If this object has been modified, then save it to the database.
             if (isModified())
             {
                 if (isNew())
                 {
                     CustomListPeer.doInsert((CustomList) this, con);
                     setNew(false);
                 }
                 else
                 {
                     CustomListPeer.doUpdate((CustomList) this, con);
                 }
             }

             if (collCustomListItems != null)
             {
                 for (int i = 0; i < collCustomListItems.size(); i++)
                 {
                     ((CustomListItem) collCustomListItems.get(i)).save(con);
                 }
             }
             alreadyInSave = false;
         }
     }

I have a unique constraint on the name attribute of the custom list
table.  If I do a save and the name is a duplicate, an exception will be
thrown.  I catch this exception, verify that the unique constraint is what
was wrong, and then display an error message to the user (giving them the
opportunity to fix the error and try saving again).

Unfortunately, since the exception was thrown, the code that sets
alreadyInSave back to false never gets executed.  Any subsequent attempts
to save the object will appear to work, but will not actually be successful
because if (!alreadyInSave) does not evaluate to true.

Is my only option (short of modifying the source of the framework) to run a
query to verify that the name is not a duplicate prior to saving?  I am
also considering modifying the Object.vm template to put the doInsert and
doUpdate invocations in a try block that will set alreadyInSave back to
false in a finally block.  I'm not sure what other ramifications this may
have, though, so I am hesitant to do so.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions,
Blake