Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/23 16:23:54 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid ProtonJ2 1.0.0-M6

Hi folks,

I have put together a release candidate for a 1.0.0-M6 Qpid ProtonJ2
release,
please give it a test out and vote accordingly.

The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/protonj2/1.0.0-M6-rc1/

The maven artifacts are also staged for now at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1240

The JIRAs assigned are:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12351559

Regards

P.S. If you want to test it out using maven (e.g with the examples
src, or your own things), you can temporarily add this to your poms to
access the staging repo:

   <repositories>
     <repository>
       <id>staging</id>
<url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1240</url>
     </repository>
   </repositories>

The dependency for the protocol engine or the client itself would then be:

   <dependency>
     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
     <artifactId>protonj2</artifactId>
     <version>1.0.0-M6</version>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
     <artifactId>protonj2-client</artifactId>
     <version>1.0.0-M6</version>
   </dependency>

--
Tim Bish

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid ProtonJ2 1.0.0-M6

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 5/23/22 12:23, Timothy Bish wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a release candidate for a 1.0.0-M6 Qpid ProtonJ2
> release,
> please give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/protonj2/1.0.0-M6-rc1/
>
> The maven artifacts are also staged for now at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1240
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12351559
>

> Regards
>
> P.S. If you want to test it out using maven (e.g with the examples
> src, or your own things), you can temporarily add this to your poms to
> access the staging repo:
>
>   <repositories>
>     <repository>
>       <id>staging</id>
> <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1240</url>
>
>     </repository>
>   </repositories>
>
> The dependency for the protocol engine or the client itself would then
> be:
>
>   <dependency>
>     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>     <artifactId>protonj2</artifactId>
>     <version>1.0.0-M6</version>
>   </dependency>
>   <dependency>
>     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>     <artifactId>protonj2-client</artifactId>
>     <version>1.0.0-M6</version>
>   </dependency>

+1

* Validated signatures and checksums
* Verified license and notice files in archives
* Checked source files for license headers with 'mvn apache-rat:check'
* Built from source and ran the test suite
* Ran the included examples against an ActiveMQ Artemis broker install.
* Ran the included examples against an ActiveMQ 5 install.

--
Tim Bish

Re: Tangent on approach to run example (was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid ProtonJ2 1.0.0-M6)

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Running "clean package" only builds the jars/archives inside the
respective target dirs in the build tree. The component classes/poms
of the current maven reactor build are visible within that running
build for tests etc, but are not visible outwith it to any others
builds, as the seperate/former builds target dirs isnt somewhere it
would look for required dependencies (first looking in its own reactor
build for stuff it is currently itself building, then the local repo
for stuff previously remotely-retrieved or locally-installed by
another build, and finally remote repositories currently known to the
build from the poms or settings file). You typically need to run the
"install" goal to put built things in the maven local repo
"~/.m2/repository" for a totally distinct local build to see any stuff
another has locally built.

I guess one exception to that might be if you strategically overlap
the two distinct builds in a nested way such that the [source] parent
pom was actually in the direct parent dir of the extracted examples
pom looking for it as its parent, since "../pom.xml" is the default
parent relative path and so the needed pom could be found that way if
it happened to be sitting there (it logs a warning if something else
is there). Either way it then still wouldnt find the clients jars or
classes it needed to build/run the example unless they are also being
built in its current reactor build, and as they are not and wont be
found in the local or remote repos it knows of, it then simply doesnt
know about them and will fail accordingly. I'm not away of any change
in this area, all the builds are the same in this regard, and its more
about maven than them.

An analogous case might be e.g building proton-c and qpidd or
dispatch. Supposing their source trees were being built in two
distinct runs/places, the server build simply will not find the built
proton, unless its build output was previously installed where they
look, or other steps taken to make protons not-installed build output
usable by the later build.

The more expected route for trying things out is:

1. Add the staging repo details to the examples pom.xml or mavens
settings.xml so the staged client can be found.
2. Run the examples build from the -bin package per the readme, which
will find the staged client in the staging repo and use it.

Completely independent of that you run the "clean package" goals on
the separate extracted source tree, either before or after running the
example as above, to build the client and run the tests without any
interference between the two builds. If you run the whole source build
it will just work even without the staging repo as it is currently
building everything relating to the client, or you could also run the
example alone from the source (changing to their subdir before
running, same as with the -bin) without building the actual client,
but you would need to have first added the staging repo or have done
something else to make the needed client bits end up in the local repo
(e.g using the "install" goal on the whole build first).

Robbie

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
The -bin archive doesnt have a top level pom because it is the -bin
archive. It doesnt contain the full build, just the client+dependency
jars and a subdir with copy of the examples tree. The -src archive has
the full build and thus top level pom to build it all.

The examples dir in the -bin archive has a pom and is its own build,
which anyone running after it is released will find just works without
doing anything else first, as it will retrieve the 'parent' pom along
with all the other dependencies needed from Maven Central. However,
prior to release, these bits dont yet exist in a public repo that the
build looks at, and so the build will fail if not taking steps to make
them available to it some other way.

E.g. by adding the staging repository using the details in the
original mail (which contains the pre-built bits that will actually be
on Central upon actual release), so the parent pom and client deps can
be found there (temporarily) for testing that they work before
releasing them. You can either add the staging repo details to the
examples pom itself, or alternatively to an active profile within the
maven settings.xml file (making it available to builds, without
modifying them).

Alternatively, and what I guess you may have done before, you could
build and install the needed bits yourself to the maven local repo by
"mvn install" from the source archive first, before ever trying to run
the examples build. Maven would then find your locally-built installed
copy of the bits needed and use that, without needing to know about
the staging repo. Though then strictly speaking you aren't running
against specifically what most people will probably end up using once
it is actually released (the staged bits already built), just an
equivalent you have built yourself from the same sources.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.