Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Shawn Iverson <sh...@nccsc.k12.in.us> on 2004/01/08 13:39:46 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] Fedora Core 1 - Apache 2.0.47-10 - 403 Forbidde n - mrtg

> What is the DocumentRoot? How are you attempting to access
> /var/www/mrtg?
>
> If your docroot is /var/www/html, then you access
> /var/www/html/file.html via URL http://server/file.html
> therefore it is
> impossible to address a file in /var/www/mrtg since it is not
> under the
> docroot.
>
> If your problem is not some path confusion, as described above, then
> check that you are editing the correct config file, or, that
> the apache
> that is running is really the one that you are editing (put an obvious
> synatx error in the config and try a restart - it should detect it).
> You'd be suprised how often people waste time editing one config when
> the apache they're running is really a default vendor version
> reading a
> different file.
>
> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle

DocumentRoot is /var/www/html.  Now I tried moving mrtg into DocumentRoot,
and it didn't work.
I did restart apache after I removed the alias and <Document "..."> settings
when trying this.
(see information below)

I inserted a syntax error and restarted apache.  It failed and pointed to
the error.
So yes, I must be editing the right config (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf),
and only one instance of apache resides on my server.