Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Andrew McIntyre <fu...@nonintuitive.com> on 2004/12/07 01:32:08 UTC

trunk version now 10.1.0.0 alpha / 10.0 branch created

Hello derby-dev,

Now that we have a release posted and there are new features waiting to
be checked in, I have branched the current codebase and updated the
version on the trunk to 10.1.0.0 alpha so that new features can be
checked in as per the accepted version/upgrade policy.

The URL for the new branch is:

svn co
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/code/branches/10.0/ .

or, you can use the switch command if you wish to move a current
working copy to the branch:

svn switch
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/code/branches/10.0/

I have updated the version number on the branch to 10.0.2.2 to
distinguish newer branch builds from the current release. The branch
was created as of svn revision 110050.

andrew

Re: trunk version now 10.1.0.0 alpha / 10.0 branch created

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: trunk version now 10.1.0.0 alpha / 10.0 branch created

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Mamta Satoor wrote:

>"Jean T. Anderson" wrote:
>

>>Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>>So since the release was at svn revision 106978 and the branch at
>>>110050, I think it means the commits listed below are in the 10.0
>>>branch, but not in the release. Thus they would automatically be
>>>included in any future 10.0 release or snapshot. They all seem to be
>>>within the scope of a bug-fix/stable branch so I say "lazy approval" for
>>>including them in the 10.0 branch.
>>>

>>This may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't the branch have been made
>>at 106979 ? Why have a gap between the release and the branch?
>>

>My guess is that between the time when release was made and branch was
>cut, there were checkins into other Apache projects and that is why the
>jump in the number.but I could be wrong.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=272 shows there
are lots of derby svn revisions between 106978 and 110050.

 -jean

Re: trunk version now 10.1.0.0 alpha / 10.0 branch created

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ma...@Remulak.Net>.

"Jean T. Anderson" wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
> > Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> >
> > >I have updated the version number on the branch to 10.0.2.2 to
> > >distinguish newer branch builds from the current release. The branch was
> > >created as of svn revision 110050.
> >
> > So since the release was at svn revision 106978 and the branch at
> > 110050, I think it means the commits listed below are in the 10.0
> > branch, but not in the release. Thus they would automatically be
> > included in any future 10.0 release or snapshot. They all seem to be
> > within the scope of a bug-fix/stable branch so I say "lazy approval" for
> > including them in the 10.0 branch.
>
> This may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't the branch have been made
> at 106979 ? Why have a gap between the release and the branch?
>
>  -jean

My guess is that between the time when release was made and branch was
cut, there were checkins into other Apache projects and that is why the
jump in the number.but I could be wrong.

Mamta

Re: trunk version now 10.1.0.0 alpha / 10.0 branch created

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <fu...@nonintuitive.com>.
On Dec 7, 2004, at 8:34 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> This may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't the branch have been made
> at 106979 ? Why have a gap between the release and the branch?

Several days passed between when the 10.0.2.1 build was made and when
the vote to accept that build as the official release closed, during
which time several bug fixes and test updates were checked in. So, in
order to not have to also merge any of those fixes to the branch, I
took a look at the changes that had gone in since the change 10.0.2.1
was based on and they all seemed to me to be changes that would be
appropriate for 10.0.2.2, so I branched from the head at that point.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> I have updated the version number on the branch to 10.0.2.2 to
> distinguish newer branch builds from the current release. The branch was
> created as of svn revision 110050.

So since the release was at svn revision 106978 and the branch at
110050, I think it means the commits listed below are in the 10.0
branch, but not in the release. Thus they would automatically be
included in any future 10.0 release or snapshot. They all seem to be
within the scope of a bug-fix/stable branch so I say "lazy approval" for
including them in the 10.0 branch.

Dan.

r109604 | kmarsden | 2004-12-02 16:41:59 -0800 (Thu, 02 Dec 2004) | 4 lines

Adding 2 tests to suites.
Contributed by myrna@Golux.Com

r109565 | kmarsden | 2004-12-02 13:59:42 -0800 (Thu, 02 Dec 2004) | 3 lines

Test master update and removal of tests that do not exist from suites.

r109527 | fuzzylogic | 2004-12-02 11:39:44 -0800 (Thu, 02 Dec 2004) | 2
lines

fix dblook message key names in tools/dblook.java

r109470 | fuzzylogic | 2004-12-01 23:44:03 -0800 (Wed, 01 Dec 2004) | 2
lines

Fix message names in dblook

r109462 | fuzzylogic | 2004-12-01 23:14:03 -0800 (Wed, 01 Dec 2004) | 4
lines

Cleanup Cloudscape/IBM references in frameworks scripts.

Committing for Scott Hutinger <s-...@wiu.edu>

r109265 | kmarsden | 2004-11-30 16:23:58 -0800 (Tue, 30 Nov 2004) | 3 lines

Adding store .sql tests & suite, xa suite; remove some cloudscape
references.
contributed by myrna@golux.com

r109245 | fuzzylogic | 2004-11-30 12:31:03 -0800 (Tue, 30 Nov 2004) | 2
lines

update STATUS, add README

Re: All *.java files with IBM Confidential comments

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: All *.java files with IBM Confidential comments

Posted by RPost <rp...@pacbell.net>.
I guess I was hoping I did not have the latest pre-release source. When the
'release' candidate was posted I downloaded the zip file and all files are
extracted to a path of:

incubating-derby-10.0.2.1-src

96 files in this tree have 'IBM' in them and 23 have 'cloudscape'.

Here are all of the files found by searching for 'confidential' in *.java
files. These all have the IBM confidential comment I listed:

package org.apache.derby.iapi.services.info
  ProductVersionHolder.java
package org.apache.derby.iapi.sql.dictionary
  SchemaDescriptor.java
package org.apache.derby.impl.sql.catalog
  SYSALIASESRowFactory.java
  SYSCHECKSRowFactory.java
  SYSCOLUMNSRowFactory.java
  SYSCONGLOMERATESRowFactory.java
  SYSCONSTRAINTSRowFactory.java
  SYSDEPENDSRowFactory.java
  SYSFOREIGNKEYSRowFactory.java
  SYSKEYSRowFactory.java
  SYSSCHEMASRowFactory.java
  SYSTABLESRowFactory.java
  SYSVIEWSRowFactory.java
package org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data
  StoredPage.java
Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: trunk version now 10.1.0.0 alpha / 10.0 branch created

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <fu...@nonintuitive.com>.
On Dec 7, 2004, at 3:48 PM, RPost wrote:

> Do comments like this one in
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.StoredPage.java
> need to be changed? I have seen similar comments in other files from
> the
> 10.0.2.1 source.
>
> /* IBM Confidential

Confidential notices should have been changed to IBM Copyright notices
before the source was handed over to Apache, but apparently a few files
slipped through. I'm guessing that any remaining Confidential notices
should probably be changed over to the Apache license header by an IBM
employee, but that is just my guess. Ken and/or Dan can provide an
official answer to that question.

Please post to the list if you run across any other IBM confidential
headers such as this.

Posted by RPost <rp...@pacbell.net>.
Do comments like this one in
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.StoredPage.java
need to be changed? I have seen similar comments in other files from the
10.0.2.1 source.

/* IBM Confidential
 *
 * Product ID: 5697-F53
 *

 * Copyright 1997, 2004.WESTHAM

 *
 * The source code for this program is not published or otherwise divested
 * of its trade secrets, irrespective of what has been deposited with the
 * U.S. Copyright Office.
 */

Re: WARNING on trunk status for production use

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: WARNING on trunk status for production use

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Jean, if when you post the Derby release info, could you add a warning
> like this to the downloads page. I assume that page will be updated for
> instructions on how to download the branch as well as the trunk.

The the downloads page is now updated, but I suspect needs wordsmithing
and clarification.

 -jean

WARNING on trunk status for production use

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.