Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2012/11/19 21:33:44 UTC

Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers

All,

Let's all join in welcoming our 5 new committers:

Carlos Rovira (carlosrovira)
Christofer Dutz (cdutz)
Cyrill Zadra (czadra)
Frederic Thomas (fthomas)
Jose Barragan (josebarragan)

These folks have been instrumental in giving the project the momentum
it needed to graduate (soon, I'm sure) and from their communications I
understand that they all have lots of ideas they're just waiting to
bring to the project.

A big thank you and warm welcome to all of them!

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
A very warm welcome to all five of you.  As Erik said, you have brought
great ideas to the table and have given Apache Flex a lot of momentum.

Thanks and welcome again :-)

Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Carlos Rovira (carlosrovira)
> Christofer Dutz (cdutz)
> Cyrill Zadra (czadra)
> Frederic Thomas (fthomas)
> Jose Barragan (josebarragan)

Welcome and keep up the good work, the project wouldn't be the same without your contributions.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers

Posted by aYo ~ <ay...@binitie.com>.
A warm welcome to all of you.I'm especially chuffed to welcome Carlos. He
has always been very gracious to me every time we have met

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Congratulations

-Mark

Posted by Jose Barragan Andrade <pe...@me.com>.
Hi,

many thanks for all people in Apache Flex team and dev list for take me in consideration.

Well, I'm very interested on contribute to many threads of new and pending work on this project, i.e.:

* Support the way to reach an ease contributions and patch submission through getting GIT - GITHUB
official apache support on board.

* Contribute to the maven movement, where Chris Dutz it's working hard on FlexMojos

* And of course, try solving Jira tickets, and contributing on the principal roadmap.

I'm very interested too about Falcon, compiler stuff always likes me :)

So, thanks again for all, and keep on coding :)

Jose Barragan
Software Architect Chief

Posted by Joan Llenas Masó <jo...@garnetworks.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Glad to hear that Om, let's start something so.

Technicaly and basicly, I would lile to start with a mavenized (to get ride
of the dependencies) AIR project done in 4.8.

As soon as I can, I'll setup the maven project structure and review it with
you, in the meantime, it would be nice we prepare a draft for the specs.

What do you you think about the process, something to add or so ?

- Fred

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Frédéric THOMAS
<we...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank's all to welcome me on board, I'm very happy to have been asked to
> become a committer (even though before I commit anything I still  will
> want
> someone to review my code...).
>
> Two things are touching me at the moment, I would define it like that:
>
> 1- As a noob in SDK developement, I would like to have a tool, let's say
> like a "Apache Flex SDK Developer tool suite" that install and set
> everything for me, helps me to build the SDK, run the tests, etc..., like
> that I can concentrate myself, at least at the begining in bugs  fixing.
> (I don't want to have to read the readme.txt, install the third parties,
> learn ant, look for the good targets, read the mustella readme.txt and so
> on).

Amen to that, bro!  That is one of my goals for Apache Flex as well.  The
more roadblocks we manage to remove from a developers point of view, the
better Apache Flex will benefit.

Looking forward to work with such tools along side you!

Thanks,
Om

Re: Apache Flex SDK Developer Tool Suite (was: Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers)

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi all,

Just to inform I switched on svn as suggested.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/whiteboard/fthomas/developerToolSuite/trunk/

- Fred.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Ok Greg, it makes it clearer, cheers.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Frederic,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Apache Flex SDK Developer Tool Suite (was: Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers)

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi,

thanks to all people in this list, to the Apache Flex team to take me on
consideration and for this kindly welcome :)

There's so much things I'd like to see done in Apache Flex, and I'll try to
make it happen to the extent that I can. For example:

* Ease contributions and patch submission through getting GIT - GITHUB
official apache support on board. Chris Dutz show us valuable info some
days ago when he was at ApacheCon and we should get the same level of ease
that other projects (like Apache Cordova) has today. If we get this done I
think more people would be encourage to contribute and this will be very
positive for Apache Flex. Now that I'm a committer I think I could move
this task that was voted some months ago. Wish me luck! :)

* Start a POC for Flex 5 based on Haxe. This will be an experiment that
will try to implements the ideas behind the thread "Flex on Haxe". Whatever
this POC will be with the time, and since I advocate a full rewrite, my
position is to have the actual Flex 4.x branch and its evolution, and a new
FlexNext branch started from scratch. So people with different interest
could work in one or another. So all will be happy :).

* Maven is another key point in Flex and will be glad to help others, but
here I think Chris as a commiter and the head of flexmojos is the guy with
the leadership to follow.

* I want to try to develop as well some Easy Fix jira bugs and test the
Flex SDK development in the following days.

Many things and few time, since like others I have tons of work, but as
well two childs that eats lots of time ;)...but as well, great illusion and
hope in this project and the future of what Apache Flex can be.

So let's start getting up speed!  :)

Best,

Carlos Rovira

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank's all to welcome me on board, I'm very happy to have been asked to
become a committer (even though before I commit anything I still  will want
someone to review my code...).

Two things are touching me at the moment, I would define it like that:

1- As a noob in SDK developement, I would like to have a tool, let's say
like a "Apache Flex SDK Developer tool suite" that install and set
everything for me, helps me to build the SDK, run the tests, etc..., like
that I can concentrate myself, at least at the begining in bugs  fixing.
(I don't want to have to read the readme.txt, install the third parties,
learn ant, look for the good targets, read the mustella readme.txt and so
on).

2- As software architect, I want a total "out of the box" mavenized SDK
because it's the way every big company works with the languages, librairies,
... and I'm asked to provide that.

For these first two wishes, I'm gonna try to make them reality because it's
what I needed when I started with this new Apache Flex SDK and that's what
that was missing, we started already with the mavenizer but it's just a
start, if you, folks, you can feel as well that the new contributors have
the same needs and you want to invest your time in someof these wishes, I'll
be more than happy to work with you.

And obviously, that's all on my spare time, so, don't thing it's gonna
happen in few days.
In the meantime, I'll try to do my committer job: fixing bugs, review
patches... and especially learn.

Fred.

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations guys :)

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Thanks for that welcome and your trust. It's great to be part of
Apache Flex team.

My current main interests are in the following 2 topics.

* Falcon/FalconJS: .. At the moment I see there the most promising
future to target more runtimes (like Java, Browser, Cordova  ) than
just Flash/AIR so I'll investigate some time to learn how the compiler
works and play around with it ..and if possible help gordon to fix one
or the other bug or setup more unit tests.
* Flex SDK: Try the help in making the current sdk 4.x more stable..
so fix bugs, review bug fixes and add mustella tests if needed.

Due the fact that my english writing isn't so good and I'm very slow
in writing..  I'll probably write less and code more at the beginning
;).

-> Cyrill, I will see you at the compiler now you can commit!

yeah .. see you there :)

Cyrill

AW: Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi there.

Nice to become part of the team :-)

Really looking forward to creating that maven-flex-plugin ... this is my current main goal for the next time.

After finishing that Flex SDK Generator this was the next logical step for me and I'll do my best to have something usable as soon as possible :-)

Already did some Confluence Brainstorming ... sort of writing down what I'm planning on doing. Will transfer that from my own Confluence to the Flex Confluence as soon as I cleaned it up a little.
Really looking forward to some input and feedback on that. As soon as the "Confluence-Coding" is done, I think we can start doing some serious coding.

In contrast to Flexmojos this plugin will directly target Apache Flex and intentionally not support all sorts of Legacy FDKs (In the first versions). All the legacy support is what's really making Flexmojos hard to maintain. Hopefully a clean start will rid us of a lot of problems and the things I'm planning on doing differently especially with unit-testing will certainly be an improvement for us developers :-)

Chris

Re: Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers

Posted by Joan Llenas Masó <jo...@garnetworks.com>.
Welcome!
Muy bienvenidos! ;-)

Joan

Re: Say "Hi" to 5 (!) new Apache Flex Committers

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
Welcome to the team guys!

-omar