Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sachin <cs...@pisoftek.com> on 2003/07/25 10:54:06 UTC

[users@httpd] How much can Apache & Tomcat Handle.........

Hello All,
i am  with a little application deployment problem.well i
want to deploy an applciation which could handle 10,000 courrent user at a
time.Now Hardware requirement is different thing but is Only one instance of
Tomcat uder Apache is suffeciet or i have to use multiple instance of tomcat
for it.
Well my applciation basically handling serveral temporary XML files and at
last update data into database.
XML file documents. created by application is nearly 2-3 kb
But i am not able to judge that what approach should i follow.
Well i am thinking that worker.properties file will manage load balancing
between several tomcat which work as a worker under Apache
So how will i judge that how many tomcat or there is no need for multiple
tomcat for handling such task.
please if you have any suggestion for this problem
please help
Thanks
Sachin

Re: [users@httpd] How much can Apache & Tomcat Handle.........

Posted by Aaron Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.
I know this is not about hardware, but hardware requirements are
probably going to answer your question about the # of tomcat instances.
  Looking at your setup from a very high level, you are probably going
to need several dedicated web servers, several dedicated tomcat servers,
and a beefy database server (depending on #, frequency, and type of
transactions).  You would probably have a hard time configuring a beefy
web server to handle 2,000 concurrent users serving only static content.
  To be frank (yes, you can still be Sachin :) ), tomcat may not be up
to the task, one of the commercial java application servers may be
better suited.

I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but "10,000 concurrent
users" sounds more like marketing than real-life.

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)