Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Abossolo Foh Guy <gu...@scientificware.com> on 2019/08/12 12:16:01 UTC

Netbeans parser state of art ?

Hi,

After reading the blog post : Why Does Apache NetBeans Need Its Own
Parsers ?
https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/

I'm a bit confuse about netbeans' parsers state of art.
Is this tutorial still current ?
https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-javacc-parser.html

Which parser should we use with netbeans platform ?

Best regards.

--
Abossolo Foh Guy

Re: Netbeans parser state of art ?

Posted by Abossolo Foh Guy <gu...@scientificware.com>.
Thank you so much for advice.

Guy.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Abossolo Foh Guy <gu...@scientificware.com>.
First, I wanted to write a Java class like swing JEditorPane with
mathematical writing ability.
Then use NetBeans platform to build applications with this extended
class.
I planned two stages :
- Extend swing.text to display and navigate in equations.
- Write a parser for user entries.

After having solved some swing.text bugs, I reached the first Swing
stage. I also worked with javafx WebKit implementation after having
solved a small bug with MathML display.

Now in both of these approachs, I need to complete the parser stage :
Parse the user entries to build the model tree in live (not after a
compile process). My models are Lyx or TeXMacs mathematical editors.

In a first approach, I'm using JavaCC to test my grammars (AsciiMath,
Tex, TexMacs, ... naturel languages).

As I am a NetBeans user, I had hope that I could use NetBeans parsing as
model. That why the post arrived just at the right time : may be one of
its parsing process could help me ?

All this because one day, I dreamed that one day I could used NetBeans
as Mathematical text editor :-)

Guy.

---------------

Le 2019-08-12 16:05, Geertjan Wielenga a écrit :
> If you can provide more details, we can give you advice or point you
> in the right direction.
>
> Gj
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 3:55 PM Abossolo Foh Guy
> <gu...@scientificware.com> wrote:
>
>> In fact, I'm interested in the Netbeans parsing process as model for
>> an
>> application. That why I was really interested by this blog post.
>>
>> The first time, I read the tutorial many years ago, I thought that
>> Netbeans parsing was based only on JavaCC and that its API was
>> simply
>> exposed to NetBeans Platform Users.
>>
>> Thanks for these clarifications. I will read both documents again.
>>
>> Guy.

>> Le 2019-08-12 14:18, Geertjan Wielenga a écrit :
>>> Well, what parser NetBeans uses itself is a completely different
>>> question to what parser you should use in your own NetBeans
>> Platform
>>> application.
>>>
>>> If you read the blog, you'll see the needs of a programming
>> language
>>> editor, i.e., you need to do more than parsing, you need to do a
>> lot
>>> more than that and so depending on the language NetBeans has other
>>> kinds of plumbing beneath the parsers to make things work.
>>>
>>> Depending on what language you're using, you'll also need more
>> than
>>> only a parser.
>>>
>>> Gj

>> Own