Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Hossein Miri <hm...@me.com> on 2013/04/05 11:59:24 UTC

maven

Hi everyone,

I have a folder that contains some Java code, written specifically for Linux.
There is a pom.xml�file and two folders called: src�and build

I have installed Eclipse Juno on my Mac (10.7.5) and I understand
it already has Maven included.�On the Linux machine, the code is
executed by entering�mvn package�at the command line.

But after this stage, it doesn't run on my Mac, because some of the
commands are specific to Linux (I am told).�How do I import the
whole project into Maven on my Mac?�I mean where do I copy
the folders and pom file?

p.s. I am only just beginning to learn Java programming using the
� � � Eclipse IDE�and my installation details are in the image attached...

Thank you,
�H

Re: maven

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Uh, oh.

mvn eclipse:eclipse is the wrong answer, probably.

There are two ways to integrate Maven and eclipse. The older way is to
run mvn eclipse:eclipse to create Eclipse metadata, and then you
import into Eclipse as you would open any existing Eclipse project.
This has a number of limitations and is no longer actively maintained.

The newer way is to use the Eclipse command to import an existing
Maven project. This has a different set of problems, but is under
active development, and is what you will see described in current
Eclipse documentation. This is called 'm2e'.

These days, I think that most people are happier with m2e, which has
its own mailing lists to consult if you do have problems.

Re: maven

Posted by Alonso Isidoro Roman <al...@gmail.com>.
El viernes, 5 de abril de 2013, Hossein Miri escribió:

> Thank you . .
>
> I did the first two things, by moving to the folder that contains the
> pom.xml file
> and then running the following two commands in the Terminal:
>
>  mvn clean install
>  mvn eclipse:eclipse
>
> What do you mean by your last sentence?
>
> and then import maven project from eclipse.
>

> Do you mean in the Eclipse Juno IDE?
>
> When I go to Eclipse , Help , Install New Software and look at What is
> already installed
> it shows that m2e - Maven Integration for Eclipse is already installed.
>
> Is that what you mean?
> Hossein

  Nop, i Mean that in eclipse you need to import the Maven project. I m
using STS but i think is the same in every eclipse. Go File,
Import,Maven,Existing maven projects...

then you need to supply root maven project, the folder with pom.xml and
click Finish.

Tell us what about.

Re: maven

Posted by Adrien Rivard <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

If you use Juno with the corresponding m2e , you *MUST NOT* use
eclipse:eclipse.
if you already have remove the .project .classpath and  .settings first,

Then import the project as existing maven project.

 (in eclipse, File > import > Existing maven projects > select the project
folder ...)

Also it is generaly not a good idea to use mvn install (prefer mvn
package), especially if you intend to use with m2e/eclipse.

If you have errors after the import, you may have a look at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered .

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Hossein Miri <hm...@me.com> wrote:

> Thank you . .
>
> I did the first two things, by moving to the folder that contains the
> pom.xml file
> and then running the following two commands in the Terminal:
>
>  mvn clean install
>  mvn eclipse:eclipse
>
> What do you mean by your last sentence?
>
> and then import maven project from eclipse.
>

> Do you mean in the Eclipse Juno IDE?
>
> When I go to Eclipse , Help , Install New Software and look at What is
> already installed
> it shows that m2e - Maven Integration for Eclipse is already installed.
>
> Is that what you mean?
> Hossein
>

> hi Hossein, first, go to the folder project, where is pom.xml and execute
> mvn clean install, that sentences clean, compile and deploy the project
> into repository. Second, execute mvn eclipse:eclipse
> and then import maven project from eclipse.
>
> Let us know how about was.
>
> regards
>
> Alonso Isidoro Roman.
>

> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a folder that contains some Java code, written specifically for
>> Linux.
>> There is a pom.xml file and two folders called: src and build
>>
>> I have installed Eclipse Juno on my Mac (10.7.5) and I understand
>> it already has Maven included. On the Linux machine, the code is
>> executed by entering mvn package at the command line.
>>
>> But after this stage, it doesn't run on my Mac, because some of the
>> commands are specific to Linux (I am told). How do I import the
>> whole project into Maven on my Mac? I mean where do I copy
>> the folders and pom file?
>>
>> p.s. I am only just beginning to learn Java programming using the
>>       Eclipse IDE and my installation details are in the image
>> attached...
>>
>> Thank you,

Adrien Rivard

Re: maven

Posted by Alonso Isidoro Roman <al...@gmail.com>.
hi Miri, first, go to the folder project, where is pom.xml and execute mvn
clean install, that sentences clean, compile and deploy the project into
repository. Second, execute mvn eclipse:eclipse
and then import maven project from eclipse.

Let us know how about was.

regards

Alonso Isidoro Roman.

Mis citas preferidas (de hoy) :
"Si depurar es el proceso de quitar los errores de software, entonces
programar debe ser el proceso de introducirlos..."
 -  Edsger Dijkstra

My favorite quotes (today):
"If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming
must be the process of putting ..."
  - Edsger Dijkstra

"If you pay peanuts you get monkeys"