Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2018/02/08 18:50:23 UTC

Drop the Hadoop 2.6 profile?

At this point, with Hadoop 3 on deck, I think hadoop 2.6 is both fairly
old, and actually, not different from 2.7 with respect to Spark. That is, I
don't know if we are actually maintaining anything here but a separate
profile and 2x the number of test builds.

The cost is, by the same token, low. However I'm floating the idea of
removing the 2.6 profile and just requiring 2.7+ as of Spark 2.4?

Re: Drop the Hadoop 2.6 profile?

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
oh nevermind i am used to spark builds without hadoop included. but i
realize that if hadoop is included it matters if its 2.6 or 2.7...

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
I'd advocate 2.7 over 2.6, primarily due to Kerberos and JVM versions

2.6 is not even qualified for Java 7, let alone Java 8: you've got no guarantees that things work on the min Java version Spark requires.

Kerberos is always the failure point here, as well as various libraries (jetty) which get used more on the server.

Except Guava, which gets everywhere and whose Java version policy  is only slightly more stable as its binary compatibility.

if tests aren't seeing those problems, it may mean that Kerberos is avoided, which is always nice to do, but it'll find you later

see HADOOP-11287, HADOOP-12716 (2.8+ only, presumably backported to CDH and HDP), HADOOP-10786 (which is in 2.6.1).

-Steve

On 8 Feb 2018, at 22:30, Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>> wrote:

​ire compatibility is relevant if hadoop is included in spark build

for those of us that build spark without hadoop included hadoop (binary) api compatibility matters. i wouldn't want to build against hadoop 2.7 and deploy on hadoop 2.6, but i am ok the other way around. so to get the compatibility with all the major distros and cloud providers building against hadoop 2.6 is currently the way to go.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>> wrote:
I think it would make sense to drop one of them, but not necessarily 2.6.

It kinda depends on what wire compatibility guarantees the Hadoop
libraries have; can a 2.6 client talk to 2.7 (pretty certain it can)?
Is the opposite safe (not sure)?

If the answer to the latter question is "no", then keeping 2.6 and
dropping 2.7 makes more sense. Those who really want a
Hadoop-version-specific package can override the needed versions in
the command line, or use the "without hadoop" package.

But in the context of trying to support 3.0 it makes sense to drop one
of them, at least from jenkins.

--
Marcelo

Re: Drop the Hadoop 2.6 profile?