Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by gm...@gmail.com on 2016/08/07 19:51:02 UTC

Can't find answer on website or Help

I am very frustrated in trying to find answers to questions about Open Office, it all sounds too technical.
The main problem I have at present is trying to type in text the symbols found in music:  I have a sharp symbol on my keyboard but none of the others, particularly needing the flat symbol.
I have looked all over the character map as advised in your Help but it just isn’t there.  The only way I can do it is to find an old document containing it and copy and paste.  Surely this can’t be right?

I am using an HP Pavilion x360 laptop with windows 10.  Like many modern laptops it has no number pad or num lock key so I can’t access Alt codes.

Please help.

Gillian

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Can't find answer on website or Help

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 20:51 07/08/2016 +0100, Gillian Bonly wrote:
>I am very frustrated in trying to find answers to questions about
>Open Office, it all sounds too technical.

Your problem here sounds more to do with your computer hardware or
operating system, in fact.

>The main problem I have at present is trying to type in text the
>symbols found in music: I have a sharp symbol on my keyboard but
>none of the others, particularly needing the flat symbol.

Actually, what you have on your keyboard is a hash mark (U+0023), not
the same as a musical sharp sign (U+266F) - though you may be
satisfied in using one for the other. A good font should contain a
proper sharp sign as well and flat and natural signs.

>I have looked all over the character map as advised in your Help but
>it just isn't there.

I'm not sure what you mean by the character map, as there appears to
be nothing called this in OpenOffice. You may be referring to a
facility on your laptop that allows you to access characters not
otherwise available on the keyboard. But there is a way to do this
from within OpenOffice: go to Insert | Special Character... . If you
scroll down, you will find the character there if it exists in your
chosen font. But note that no font has all available characters and
many may not have the musical signs you need. You can select the font
at the top of the Special Characters panel.

At the bottom right of the Special Characters panel you will see the
Unicode code point - a four-digit hexadecimal number - for the
character you have currently located in the main panel. The
characters you are likely to be interested in are:
U+2669 Quarter note (= crotchet)
U+266A Eighth note (= quaver)
U+266B Beamed eighth notes (= beamed quavers)
U+266C Beamed sixteenth notes (= beamed semiquavers)
U+266D Music flat sign
U+266E Music natural sign
U+266F Music sharp sign
U+1D12A Musical symbol double sharp
U+1D12B Musical symbol double flat

My Times New Roman font, for example, has only quaver and semiquaver,
not any of the signs you want. My DejaVu Sans has the first seven but
not the last two. Some other fonts have none of these. Your fonts may
differ. It's a simple fact that if your fonts do not include the
relevant glyphs, you simply cannot print them. That's a font problem,
not an OpenOffice problem. Your inserted character can be in a
different font from surrounding text, of course.

>The only way I can do it is to find an old document containing it
>and copy and paste. Surely this can't be right?

Indeed not.

>I am using an HP Pavilion x360 laptop with windows 10.  Like many
>modern laptops it has no number pad or num lock key so I can't
>access Alt codes.

That's unfortunate. Many laptops have hidden numeric keypads on the
7, 8, 9, U, I, O, J, K, L, and M keys - but unfortunately not yours, it seems.

If you need a flat or sharp sign very infrequently, it may be easiest
to insert it using the Special Characters panel each time. But if you
need these frequently, you may find it easier to type a code of your
choice and replace these globally after you have finished entering
your text. For example, you could enter #f, #n, and #s for flat,
natural, and sharp and the replace these with the proper characters
using Find & Replace in one go at the end.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Can't find answer on website or Help

Posted by Gillian Barrington <gm...@gmail.com>.
I have now trawled through the special characters charts in Open Office and
found, in some obscure place, the symbols I am looking for.  Thanks for
your time.
I have to say it would be easier to search for stuff like this is the
headings were clearer eg. search the character map for 'music'.  From a
non-techy person's viewpoint this is all very time consuming and does not
appear logical.

Gillian

Posted by Gillian Barrington <gm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply Doug.  I have tried this compose thing, got the icon
in the system tray, found the symbols I want, but nothing happens when I
use it in Open Office.  I don't have a key marked AltRight so I assumed
AltGr was the nearest (it is on the right).
If I type AltRt  #=  I get just that, not the natural sign that I want.
Any clues as to what I am missing?

Re: Can't find answer on website or Help--Hope I can help

Posted by anthonyrudgers <an...@att.net>.
Greetings,

One doesn't need to summon up Linux to get all the special characters one
needs for music, mathematics, or most anything else.  It's all there in MS
Windows, waiting for you to use.  First, do a search ON YOUR COMPUTER for
"Character Map."  On my HP Envy notebook running Windows 10, the path is
given:

Local Drive(C)>Program Files>Microsoft>Windows>Start Menu>Programs>Windows
Accessories>System Tools

When you get to the screen that has the Character Map, pin that app to your
Windows Tool Bar.  Now when you have a document in OpenOffice, Mail, or any
other similar word-processor utility, just click on the Character Map icon
on your Tool Bar, find your special symbol, select it, copy it, & then paste
it into your document, "easy as pie."  Not all of the fonts, & there are
many, have the \u266d (music flat) symbol, so you'll have to search to find a
flat symbol to your liking.  The one shown above came from the Character Map
font "Lucida Sans Unicode."

I hope this helps you.

Best wishes,

Anthony J. Rudgers
Orlando, FL

> I am very frustrated in trying to find answers to questions about Open
> Office, it all sounds too technical.
> The main problem I have at present is trying to type in text the symbols
> found in music:  I have a sharp symbol on my keyboard but none of the
> others, particularly needing the flat symbol.
> I have looked all over the character map as advised in your Help but it
> just isn\u2019t there.  The only way I can do it is to find an old document
> containing it and copy and paste.  Surely this can\u2019t be right?
>
> I am using an HP Pavilion x360 laptop with windows 10.  Like many modern
> laptops it has no number pad or num lock key so I can\u2019t access Alt codes.
>
> Please help.
>
> Gillian
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Don't just b\u266f,  b\u266d.  These symbols were typed using a Compose key in
Linux. There is at least one program that will provide a compose key in
Windows.

Here is the download site for WinCompose:
https://github.com/S...evar/wincompose
<https://github.com/SamHocevar/wincompose>

And here is the site that leads to it:
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/92511-wincompose-a-robust-compose-key-for-windows/

The sharp symbol is made by Compose ##.        \u266f
The flat symbol is made by Compose # b            \u266d
And a natural is made by Compose # f                \u266e

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Gillian Barrington wrote:
> I have now trawled through the special characters charts in Open Office and
> found, in some obscure place, the symbols I am looking for.  Thanks for
> your time.
> I have to say it would be easier to search for stuff like this is the
> headings were clearer eg. search the character map for 'music'.  From a
> non-techy person's viewpoint this is all very time consuming and does not
> appear logical.
>
> Gillian

Gillian;
The problem is that the character map is font dependent and not all
fonts have the same glyphs and if they do they may not be in the same
area. If this is something that you do frequently it may behoove you to
find a font that has the the glyphs that you need and install it on your
machine. That way it will be available to AOO.
The following search string typed into Google came back with many hits.

Regards
Keith

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Keith N. McKenna wrote:
Reposting forgot to cc the op

> Gillian;
> The problem is that the character map is font dependent and not all
> fonts have the same glyphs and if they do they may not be in the same
> area. If this is something that you do frequently it may behoove you to
> find a font that has the the glyphs that you need and install it on your
> machine. That way it will be available to AOO.
> The following search string typed into Google came back with many hits.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Please reply only to the list and not to me personally.

Thanks
Keith

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 2:51 PM,  Gillian wrote:

>> The main problem I have at present is trying to type in text the symbols found in music:  I have a sharp symbol on my keyboard but none of the others,
particularly needing the flat symbol.

> Try this:
> http://www.outsideshore.com/music/music-software/musescore-example-manager-for-libreoffice/

OOoLilyPOnd, obtainable from
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/ooolilypond is more likely
to work than MuseScore Manager.

I wouldn't be surprised if  the _LibreOffice SongBook Architect_
(http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/libreofficesongbookarchitect.html)
is more appropriate than either OOoLilyPond or MuseScore
Manager4LibreOffice.(Contrary to its name, LOSA is available for both
LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice.)

jonathon

Re: Can't find answer on website or Help

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Wade Smart wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 2:51 PM,  <gm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am very frustrated in trying to find answers to questions about
>> Open Office, it all sounds too technical. The main problem I have
>> at present is trying to type in text the symbols found in music:  I
>> have a sharp symbol on my keyboard but none of the others,
>> particularly needing the flat symbol. I have looked all over the
>> character map as advised in your Help but it just isn’t there.  The
>> only way I can do it is to find an old document containing it and
>> copy and paste.  Surely this can’t be right?
>>
>> I am using an HP Pavilion x360 laptop with windows 10.  Like many
>> modern laptops it has no number pad or num lock key so I can’t
>> access Alt codes.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Gillian
>>
>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>>

> Try this:
> http://www.outsideshore.com/music/music-software/musescore-example-manager-for-libreoffice/

Wade;

Please be careful when recommending extensions that are written
specifically for LibreOffice as they may not work in the latest versions
of Apache OpenOffice due to API changes introduced in AOO Version 4.0. I
tried your recommended extension and it indeed does not work in AOO
version 4.1.2.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna

Re: Can't find answer on website or Help

Posted by Wade Smart <wa...@gmail.com>.