Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Faiz Kazi <fa...@naturesoft.net> on 2002/11/30 11:04:15 UTC

Ant for non-java apps

Hi,

What is the general view about using Ant as a build system for
non-java applications?

Is there anyone who has come across/used Ant for large projects
where the programming language is not Java? Say C/C++, etc?
And where traditionally Make is used?

By large project, I mean something like a mini distribution of Linux.
I'm exploring options of alternate build systems for something as
dependency-ridden as this.

Ant was recommended to me for its XML build system and
good dependancy resolving ability, but having taken a look at it,
I have apprehensions of using it for a non-java based project.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Faiz

Re: Ant for non-java apps

Posted by Jean-Philippe LEBOEUF <je...@free.fr>.
Hello,

Just to say that the LinuxFromScratch Linux distro is working on a
system that uses XML to describe the distribution.
Many tools are developed, similar to Ant, to build the distro.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
http://automated.linuxfromscratch.org/

My question is : is there a C/C++ version of Ant available or being
developed or in project ?

Jean-Philippe

Re: Ant for non-java apps

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.