Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ligang Wang <ha...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/20 08:08:50 UTC

A newbie question about hadoop-*-test.jar

Hi, all,

I am new to Hadoop and figuring out what is the functionality of hadoop-*-
tes.jar. When seeing the src code tree, I saw directories like dfs, io, ipc
and etc. Does it test for all functionalities listed there? And how to use
it for test?

Is there any document that can answer my question? I cann't find one on
Apache website. Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Ligang

Re: A newbie question about hadoop-*-test.jar

Posted by Amar Kamat <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Ligang Wang wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I am new to Hadoop and figuring out what is the functionality of hadoop-*-
> tes.jar. When seeing the src code tree, I saw directories like dfs, io, ipc
> and etc. Does it test for all functionalities listed there? And how to use
> it for test?

Its used in cases where you needs to do more than just the sanity checks
(ant test). Along with non-sanity checks,validators, benchmarks also go
here.
> Is there any document that can answer my question? I cann't find one on
> Apache website. Thanks a lot in advance.

One can see the list of tests/checks/benchmarks that are available using
'ant jar hadoop-*-test.jar '
So to test IPC one can type
'hadoop jar hadoop-*-test.jar testipc'
One of the most widely used ones is the 'sort-validation'
'hadoop jar hadoop-*-test.jar testmapredsort -sortInput <sort-input>
-sortOutput <sorted-output>'
This is one of the features widely used by mapreduce developers for
testing the patches.