Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brian Krusic <br...@krusic.com> on 2006/05/17 18:21:55 UTC

change email notification

Hi,

I've been thrust into SVN and immediately given a task.

SVN has already been installed and now we have a need;

1) When a local folder has been updated via SVN, an email is sent out.
2) An SVN update is then triggered facility wide.

The second part could be fun to develop however I am hoping for some initial guidance to get started.

I've already installed ssh and cygwin on all XP clients so that I can do my normal Unix like remote admin.

Thanks in advance,

Bri-

Re: change email notification

Posted by Brian Krusic <br...@krusic.com>.
Thanks for the info, I will check the book/contrib stuff.

I agree on the proper use of SVN however I will have to take a "wait and
see" approach as leadership isn't something they want from me now.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 17, 2006, at 20:21, Brian Krusic wrote:

> I've been thrust into SVN and immediately given a task.
>
> SVN has already been installed and now we have a need;
>
> 1) When a local folder has been updated via SVN, an email is sent out.

For both this and the next task, you would use the post-commit hook.
Hooks are described in the Subversion book. See http://svnbook.org.

There are a variety of scripts already written to handle email
updates. See the contrib and/or tools directory of the Subversion
source distribution.

> 2) An SVN update is then triggered facility wide.
>
> The second part could be fun to develop however I am hoping for
> some initial guidance to get started.
>
> I've already installed ssh and cygwin on all XP clients so that I
> can do my normal Unix like remote admin.

Do you mean that you have a number of people with working copies on
their own Windows XP computers, and when anybody checks in something
from any computer, all computers get updated? If so, then have
fun. :-) But that's not how Subversion is intended to be used, and I
think you'll have happier developers and a more smooth ride if you
use Subversion the way it was meant to be used, which is amply
described in the aforementioned book, though you'll probably need to
set aside a weekend to read it and understand it.

Re: change email notification

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Tim Hill wrote:
> Agreed. I'd be really scared about pushing changes out like this. You
> will be creating all sorts of odd merge situations. The correct place
> to handle this stuff is on the way *into* the repo, at commit time.
>
> What is the workflow that needs this kind of operation?
>
> --TIm
>
> Barry Gershenfeld wrote:
>>
>>> I've been thrust into SVN and immediately given a task.
>>> 1) When a local folder has been updated via SVN, an email is sent
>>> out. 2) An SVN update is then triggered facility wide.
>>
>> So one person makes a change, and it immediately changes for
>> everybody? What they are asking for sounds like a shared network drive.
>> No svn
>> needed...

Shared network drives..... Have problems, such as when the network is down
or in performance dealing with local file systems. Is there any way to use
an "rsync -e ssh -avvH" step, rather than a pushed update?

Re: change email notification

Posted by Tim Hill <ti...@realmgp.com>.

Posted by Barry Gershenfeld <ba...@zmicro.com>.