Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be> on 2005/10/21 23:53:05 UTC

intermittent build failures - cocoon build

Hi,

For the m2 build of cocoon, I am currently struggling with 2 types of
build failures

1) java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. I can't really say what triggers this,
but it happens every now and then when doing a full build of all modules.

2) a module fails to build during full build, complaining about missing
poms or invalid dependencies. However when I then go and build the
module independent of the full build it's fine again - without changing
anything. This behaviour is not specific to one particular module.

Any thoughts on how to track down what is happening here?

Jorg

Re: intermittent build failures - cocoon build

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.
On Oct 21, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Jorg Heymans wrote:

> 1) java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. I can't really say what triggers this,
> but it happens every now and then when doing a full build of all
> modules.

> Any thoughts on how to track down what is happening here?

I've had good luck recently using Java's built-in profiler to
diagnose performance & memory problems. On Java 1.5, you invoke it
like this:

     $ java -agentlib:hprof=help

on Java 1.4, there's a stupider syntax

     $ java -Xrunhprof:help

I think you can run it on maven with something like this:

     $ MAVEN_OPTS="-agentlib:hprof=heap=all" maven

It will dump output on the top allocation sites into a file called
java.hprof.txt, along with a fair amount of information on how to
read it.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>

Re: intermittent build failures - cocoon build

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
Brett Porter wrote:

>>1) java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. I can't really say what triggers this,
>>but it happens every now and then when doing a full build of all modules.
>

> Others have had success skipping tests. We'll have forking of tests
> available soon which will also help. We're yet to determine if the
> leak is in tests themselves or in surefire - can I check out cocoon
> and run m2 package at the root to replicate it?

because some of our tests are failing and we haven't been good in fixing
them, i always build with -Dmaven.test.skip=true

By all means, check out cocoon 2.2.x [1] , and from the root do install
or package.

>>2) a module fails to build during full build, complaining about missing
>>poms or invalid dependencies. However when I then go and build the
>>module independent of the full build it's fine again - without changing
>>anything. This behaviour is not specific to one particular module.
>

> Probably need more info here - it's weird.

It's hard to reproduce - but I know of at least one other person who has
noticed this. Can I enable some full trace logging somehow, would this help?

Regards
Jorg

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/

Re: intermittent build failures - cocoon build

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/21/05, Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the m2 build of cocoon, I am currently struggling with 2 types of
> build failures
>
> 1) java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. I can't really say what triggers this,
> but it happens every now and then when doing a full build of all modules.

Others have had success skipping tests. We'll have forking of tests
available soon which will also help. We're yet to determine if the
leak is in tests themselves or in surefire - can I check out cocoon
and run m2 package at the root to replicate it?

> 2) a module fails to build during full build, complaining about missing
> poms or invalid dependencies. However when I then go and build the
> module independent of the full build it's fine again - without changing
> anything. This behaviour is not specific to one particular module.

Probably need more info here - it's weird.

- Brett