Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ann Quinn <an...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/29 10:30:36 UTC

Query

Dear Stafff at Open Office,

I have downloaded Open Office for my MacBook Air and it Staes that by
opening this app I will override system security and could expose my
computer to Malware.
Can you please advise me ?

Thanks
Ann

--
http://www.annquinn.org

Re: Query

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hello Ann,

sorry for the late answer. This is an information from the Gate keeper
of Apple.

Please see our Release Notes:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.7+Release+Notes

      For macOS users

  * Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 will be flagged by the Gatekeeper facility
    in macOS. This is a feature to help guard against malware on macOS
    systems.
      o For OS X up to 10.11 "El Capitan": There is a procedure laid out
        at the following link to allow applications not installed from
        the Mac App store to run. See the Mac support article
        <https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290>.
      o For macOS 10.12 "Sierra" and up: In Finder, Control-click or
        right click the icon of the app. Select Open from the top of
        contextual menu that appears. Click Open in the dialog box. If
        prompted, enter an administrator name and password. This is
        needed just the first time you launch Apache OpenOffice.
      o Due to a known bug in Oracle Java
        <http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7131356>
        installations of Apache OpenOffice on macOS that do not have the
        legacy Apple Java 6 installed will not be able to recognize
        Oracle Java 7 and 8. If not able to upgrade to Java 9 than
        install the legacy version of Apple Java from the following
        link: Legacy Apple Java 6 <https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572>.
        This will allow the portions of AOO that require Java to run
        properly.