Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/30 17:02:55 UTC

Testing secretary workbench

I'm trying to set up the test environment for secretary workbench.

[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% cd apache/git/whimsy/www/secretary/workbench/
[MacBook-Pro-10:www/secretary/workbench] clr% rake fetch
rake aborted!
Command failed with status (127): [bundle update...]
/Users/clr/apache/git/whimsy/www/secretary/workbench/Rakefile:11:in `block in <top (required)>'
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/rake-13.0.1/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'
Tasks: TOP => fetch => bundle => Gemfile.lock
[MacBook-Pro-10:www/secretary/workbench] clr% which rake
/usr/bin/rake

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Fwd: Testing secretary workbench

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure this message was sent properly...

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Testing secretary workbench
> Date: July 30, 2021 at 10:02:55 AM PDT
> To: Whimsy dev <de...@whimsical.apache.org>
>
> I'm trying to set up the test environment for secretary workbench.
>
> [MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% cd apache/git/whimsy/www/secretary/workbench/
> [MacBook-Pro-10:www/secretary/workbench] clr% rake fetch
> rake aborted!
> Command failed with status (127): [bundle update...]
> /Users/clr/apache/git/whimsy/www/secretary/workbench/Rakefile:11:in `block in <top (required)>'
> /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/rake-13.0.1/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'
> Tasks: TOP => fetch => bundle => Gemfile.lock
> [MacBook-Pro-10:www/secretary/workbench] clr% which rake
> /usr/bin/rake
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig
>
> Craig L Russell
> clr@apache.org

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Testing secretary workbench

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Trying setupmymac.

I cd to whimsy

[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy] clr% git pull
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/clr/.ssh/id_rsa':
Already up to date.

[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy] clr% config/setupmymac

$ rake update

Many errors are reported but it finally restarts the server and opens the browser.

I have git set up to checkout family-first but the code I wrote in the branch does not seem to be executing.

Do I have to do something else to get my code to run?

Do I have to resolve all of the errors? There are quite a few...

Thanks,
Craig

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 23:15, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 30, 2021, at 3:11 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> And assuming that it does, how do I send one of the new forms that contain the family first check box?
> >
> > No idea what you mean by that.
>
> The test data is from July 14 to July 17 2020 and does not include any "current" documents sent to secretary.

What test data?

It's fairly easy to parse raw email files to add them to the local
secretary mail store using the script:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/www/secretary/workbench/deliver.rb

This reads a raw email (with headers) from STDIN.

e.g.

ruby /srv/whimsy/www/secretary/workbench/deliver.rb <test.eml

Re: Need for family-first (was: Testing secretary workbench)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 at 12:11, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Nope. Just recently we received a document from a person who filled the form with their family name first and the document was filed with the assumption that the family name was last.
> >>
> >> The Family First checkbox will prevent such mistakes in future.
> >
> > Why is that a mistake?
>
> Srsly? You don't think that the secretary should care to register
> "Craig Russell" instead of "Russell Craig"? He is a completely
> different person.
>
> That is a separate issue.
>
> File names have to be unique within a directory, so ensuring a
> consistent order for the file name parts *may* help to detect some
> duplicates. However it is by no means infallible, especially since the
> practice of changing the order of names is a relatively recent
> introduction.
>
> Also, people may provide additional or fewer given names with replacement ICLAs.
> People change names.
>
> In any case, there will be different people with the same name.
> The current practice is to ask such people to provide an extra name --
> I find that unnecessary and intrusive.
>
> I think we should file under a different key, such as email (or just
> UUID?), and provide alternate means of checking for possible
> duplicates. For example, are there any existing ICLAs with the same
> names, regardless of order? This would be trivial to check from an
> index file.
>
> Note that it's not just the file name that has to be unique: we
> currently use folders where there is a replacement ICLA. The folder
> name stem has to be different from the file name stem. So there
> already has to be processing to check for possible duplicate stems.
> That could be extended as necessary.

I have made a start on code to check for duplicates, see:

http://whimsy.apache.org/secretary/icla-dupes
(needs Secretary karma to run on the private data, but the code is here [1])

The code that extracts the duplicates can be adapted for use when a
new ICLA is received.
Rather than showing all potential duplicates it would only show ones
related to the current ICLA.
It could then display potential matches for review.

I'm working on some tweaks to the code, and it has shown some more duplicates.

Note that the code does not rely on the ordering of names.
The family first flag is not needed.
Sebb
[1] https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/www/secretary/icla-dupes.cgi

Need for family-first (was: Testing secretary workbench)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 22:43, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I can try Docker.
>
> Where are the instructions?

DOCKER.md

> I hope the image that I create will use the family-first code that I wrote.

The container maps the Whimsy code from your host, so it will use
whatever you have cloned/checked out.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I can try Docker.

Where are the instructions? I hope the image that I create will use the family-first code that I wrote.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 04:14, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Still looking for some help here. The error reported from the completion of setupmymac points to ruby2js strange error. Is this perhaps related to the auto-update issue being discussed else-thread?
>
> Is there some reason that ruby2js must be === 3.6.0?

There was a problem with one of the versions which meant that the
version had to be pinned.

It is defined in the top-level file ruby2js.version

I've no idea whether the latest version is compatible with the Whimsy
code, but it is easy enough to change the .version file and re-install
the Gems.

If you want to unpin it, enter something like:

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Good news. Thanks to Sam for working with me to get my local environment back to where I can usefully test the family-first ICLA. I still have issues/questions that I'll raise in another thread.

I also will try Sebb's suggestions to import new test ICLAs into my testing environment.

Thanks,
Craig

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sam,

> On Aug 5, 2021, at 9:42 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> Perhaps at some point we should have a zoom call and you can share
> your screen and we can explore it together.  Ping me on slack if this
> interests you.

That sounds like a great idea. I've sent you a DM on Slack.

> Meanwhile, did setupmymac complete successfully?

No. It runs for an hour and then fails.

> Can you try the following command from the
> /srv/whimsy/www/secretary/workbench directory?
>
> $ bundle update

No luck there either.

> If that doesn't work, you won't have the gems installed you need to
> run the workbench.

Seems to be a theme:
vi /private/var/whimsy/whimsy/www/secretary/workbench/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/extensions/universal-darwin-19/2.6.0/ffi-1.15.3/mkmf.log

"pkg-config --exists libffi"
| pkg-config --libs libffi
=> "-L/opt/local/lib -lffi \n"
"xcrun clang -o conftest -I/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/include/ruby-2.6.0/universal-darwin19 -I/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/include/ruby-2.6.0/ruby/backward -I/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/include/ruby-2.6.0 -I. -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT -D_REENTRANT    -g -Os -pipe -DHAVE_GCC_ATOMIC_BUILTINS conftest.c  -L. -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib -L. -L/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.Internal.sdk/usr/local/lib   -arch x86_64   -lruby.2.6   "
In file included from conftest.c:1:
In file included from /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/include/ruby-2.6.0/ruby.h:33:
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/include/ruby-2.6.0/ruby/ruby.h:24:10: fatal error: 'ruby/config.h' file not found
#include "ruby/config.h"
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/include/ruby-2.6.0/ruby/ruby.h:24:10: note: did not find header 'config.h' in framework 'ruby' (loaded from '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks')
1 error generated.
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: #include "ruby.h"
2:
3: int main(int argc, char **argv)
4: {
5:   return 0;
6: }
/* end */

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% head -1 `which bundle`
#!/usr/local/opt/ruby/bin/ruby
[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% head -1 `which gem`
#!/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/ruby

So it looks like I'm running mismatched bundle and gem.

Meanwhile, docker install fails. [1]

Recommendations?

Thanks
Craig

[1]Last login: Fri Jul 30 18:18:02 on ttys019
[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% mkdir docker-whimsy
[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% cd docker-whimsy/
[MacBook-Pro-10:~/docker-whimsy] clr% echo ":root: ." >.whimsy
[MacBook-Pro-10:~/docker-whimsy] clr% cat .whimsy
:root: .
[MacBook-Pro-10:~/docker-whimsy] clr% git clone git@github.com:apache/whimsy.git
Cloning into 'whimsy'...
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/clr/.ssh/id_rsa':
remote: Enumerating objects: 47694, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (1298/1298), done.
remote: Total 47694 (delta 901), reused 1077 (delta 706), pack-reused 46396
Receiving objects: 100% (47694/47694), 8.17 MiB | 4.65 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (35620/35620), done.
[MacBook-Pro-10:~/docker-whimsy] clr% cd whimsy/
[MacBook-Pro-10:~/docker-whimsy/whimsy] clr% rake docker:update svn:update git:pull
docker-compose build web
Building web
[+] Building 888.6s (13/13) FINISHED
 => [internal] load build definition from Dockerfile                                                                                                                                               0.2s
 => => transferring dockerfile: 2.49kB                                                                                                                                                             0.0s
 => [internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                                                  0.2s
 => => transferring context: 159B                                                                                                                                                                  0.0s
 => [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/ubuntu:20.04                                                                                                                                    2.1s
 => [1/8] FROM docker.io/library/ubuntu:20.04@sha256:82becede498899ec668628e7cb0ad87b6e1c371cb8a1e597d83a47fac21d6af3                                                                              8.3s
 => => resolve docker.io/library/ubuntu:20.04@sha256:82becede498899ec668628e7cb0ad87b6e1c371cb8a1e597d83a47fac21d6af3                                                                              0.0s
 => => sha256:1318b700e415001198d1bf66d260b07f67ca8a552b61b0da02b3832c778f221b 1.46kB / 1.46kB                                                                                                     0.0s
 => => sha256:16ec32c2132b43494832a05f2b02f7a822479f8250c173d0ab27b3de78b2f058 28.57MB / 28.57MB                                                                                                   6.1s
 => => sha256:82becede498899ec668628e7cb0ad87b6e1c371cb8a1e597d83a47fac21d6af3 1.42kB / 1.42kB                                                                                                     0.0s
 => => sha256:1e48201ccc2ab83afc435394b3bf70af0fa0055215c1e26a5da9b50a1ae367c9 529B / 529B                                                                                                         0.0s
 => => extracting sha256:16ec32c2132b43494832a05f2b02f7a822479f8250c173d0ab27b3de78b2f058                                                                                                          1.4s
 => [internal] load build context                                                                                                                                                                  0.0s
 => => transferring context: 13.20kB                                                                                                                                                               0.0s
 => [2/8] RUN apt-get update &&     apt-get install -y curl software-properties-common apt-utils &&     curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_12.x | bash - &&     echo "deb http://opensou  821.7s
 => [3/8] RUN echo 'SetEnv GEM_HOME /srv/gems' > /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/gemhome.conf                                                                                                            0.7s
 => [4/8] RUN DEBIAN_FRONTEND='noninteractive' apt-get install -y vim                                                                                                                              9.4s
 => [5/8] RUN DEBIAN_FRONTEND='noninteractive' apt-get install -y ldap-utils                                                                                                                       4.7s
 => [6/8] COPY config/whimsy.conf /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf                                                                                                                      0.1s
 => [7/8] COPY config/25-authz_ldap_group_membership.conf /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/25-authz_ldap_group_membership.conf                                                                            0.1s
 => [8/8] WORKDIR /srv/whimsy                                                                                                                                                                      0.0s
 => exporting to image                                                                                                                                                                            41.1s
 => => exporting layers                                                                                                                                                                           41.1s
 => => writing image sha256:463b60dd06969a8dd34f856a5e56a4f86e277aa1f6760dea8bbe3578ad93c7c6                                                                                                       0.0s
 => => naming to docker.io/library/whimsy-web                                                                                                                                                      0.0s

Use 'docker scan' to run Snyk tests against images to find vulnerabilities and learn how to fix them
docker-compose run  --entrypoint 'bash -c "rake docker:scaffold && rake update"' web
Creating network "whimsy_default" with the default driver
Creating whimsy_web_run ... done
ln -s /Users/clr/.ssh /root/.ssh
ln -s /Users/clr/.subversion /root/.subversion
ln -s /var/log/apache2 /srv/whimsy/www/members/log
chmod 755 /var/log/apache2
chmod 0644 /var/log/apache2/*.log
mkdir -p /srv/cache
mkdir -p /srv/mail/secretary
Don't run Bundler as root. Bundler can ask for sudo if it is needed, and installing your bundle as root will break this application for all non-root users on this machine.
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/............
Resolving dependencies.....
Using rake 13.0.6
Fetching Ascii85 1.1.0
Fetching minitest 5.14.4
Fetching concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Fetching zeitwerk 2.4.2
Installing zeitwerk 2.4.2
Installing Ascii85 1.1.0
Installing minitest 5.14.4
Installing concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Fetching public_suffix 4.0.6
Fetching afm 0.2.2
Installing afm 0.2.2
Installing public_suffix 4.0.6
Fetching ast 2.4.2
Fetching builder 3.2.4
Installing ast 2.4.2
Installing builder 3.2.4
Using bundler 2.2.25
Fetching mini_mime 1.1.0
Installing mini_mime 1.1.0
Fetching racc 1.5.2
Using rack 2.2.3
Fetching regexp_parser 2.1.1
Fetching childprocess 3.0.0
Installing regexp_parser 2.1.1
Installing childprocess 3.0.0
Installing racc 1.5.2 with native extensions
Fetching chronic 0.10.2
Installing chronic 0.10.2
Fetching cliver 0.3.2
Installing cliver 0.3.2
Fetching crass 1.0.6
Installing crass 1.0.6
Fetching diff-lcs 1.4.4
Fetching erubis 2.7.0
Installing diff-lcs 1.4.4
Installing erubis 2.7.0
Fetching escape 0.0.4
Installing escape 0.0.4
Fetching eventmachine 1.2.7
Fetching execjs 2.8.1
Fetching ffi 1.15.3
Installing execjs 2.8.1
Installing eventmachine 1.2.7 with native extensions
Installing ffi 1.15.3 with native extensions
Fetching hashery 2.1.2
Installing hashery 2.1.2
Fetching json 2.5.1
Installing json 2.5.1 with native extensions
Fetching rexml 3.2.5
Installing rexml 3.2.5
Fetching rb-fsevent 0.11.0
Installing rb-fsevent 0.11.0
Fetching mime-types-data 3.2021.0704
Installing mime-types-data 3.2021.0704
Fetching mustache 1.1.1
Fetching ruby2_keywords 0.0.5
Fetching nio4r 2.5.8
Fetching ruby-rc4 0.1.5
Installing ruby2_keywords 0.0.5
Installing ruby-rc4 0.1.5
Installing mustache 1.1.1
Installing nio4r 2.5.8 with native extensions
Fetching ttfunk 1.7.0
Fetching websocket-extensions 0.1.5
Installing ttfunk 1.7.0
Installing websocket-extensions 0.1.5
Fetching rdoc 6.3.2
Installing rdoc 6.3.2
Fetching rspec-support 3.10.2
Fetching ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Fetching rubyzip 2.3.2
Fetching tilt 2.0.10
Installing rspec-support 3.10.2
Installing rubyzip 2.3.2
Installing tilt 2.0.10
Installing ruby-ldap 0.9.20 with native extensions
Fetching websocket 1.2.9
Installing websocket 1.2.9
Fetching websocket-native 1.0.0
Installing websocket-native 1.0.0 with native extensions
Fetching zip 2.0.2
Installing zip 2.0.2
Fetching parser 3.0.2.0
Fetching addressable 2.8.0
Fetching rack-test 1.1.0
Using passenger 6.0.10
Fetching rack-protection 2.1.0
Installing rack-test 1.1.0
Installing rack-protection 2.1.0
Installing addressable 2.8.0
Installing parser 3.0.2.0
Fetching mail 2.7.1
Installing mail 2.7.1
Fetching i18n 1.8.10
Installing i18n 1.8.10
Fetching tzinfo 2.0.4
Installing tzinfo 2.0.4
Fetching nokogiri 1.12.1 (x86_64-linux)
Fetching kramdown 2.3.1
Fetching mime-types 3.3.1
Installing mime-types 3.3.1
Installing kramdown 2.3.1
Installing nokogiri 1.12.1 (x86_64-linux)
Fetching rb-inotify 0.10.1
Installing rb-inotify 0.10.1
Fetching wunderbar 1.4.5
Installing wunderbar 1.4.5
Fetching mustermann 1.1.1
Installing mustermann 1.1.1
Fetching websocket-driver 0.7.5
Installing websocket-driver 0.7.5 with native extensions
Fetching pdf-reader 2.5.0
Installing pdf-reader 2.5.0
Fetching puma 5.4.0
Installing puma 5.4.0 with native extensions
Fetching rspec-core 3.10.1
Installing rspec-core 3.10.1
Fetching rspec-expectations 3.10.1
Installing rspec-expectations 3.10.1
Fetching rspec-mocks 3.10.2
Fetching selenium-webdriver 3.142.7
Fetching websocket-eventmachine-base 1.2.0
Fetching activesupport 6.1.4
Installing websocket-eventmachine-base 1.2.0
Installing rspec-mocks 3.10.2
Installing activesupport 6.1.4
Fetching tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Installing selenium-webdriver 3.142.7
Installing tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Fetching ruby2js 3.6.0
Installing ruby2js 3.6.0
Fetching listen 3.6.0
Installing listen 3.6.0
Fetching sinatra 2.1.0
Installing sinatra 2.1.0
Fetching xpath 3.2.0
Installing xpath 3.2.0
Fetching nokogumbo 2.0.5
Fetching rubyXL 3.4.17
Installing nokogumbo 2.0.5 with native extensions
Installing rubyXL 3.4.17
Fetching websocket-eventmachine-client 1.3.0
Installing websocket-eventmachine-client 1.3.0
Fetching websocket-eventmachine-server 1.0.1
Fetching rspec 3.10.0
Fetching capybara 3.35.3
Using whimsy-asf 0.0.77 from source at `/srv/whimsy`
Fetching sanitize 5.2.3
Installing rspec 3.10.0
Installing sanitize 5.2.3
Installing websocket-eventmachine-server 1.0.1
Installing capybara 3.35.3
Fetching poltergeist 1.18.1
Installing poltergeist 1.18.1
Bundle complete! 37 Gemfile dependencies, 80 gems now installed.
Use `bundle info [gemname]` to see where a bundled gem is installed.
Post-install message from rubyzip:
RubyZip 3.0 is coming!
**********************

The public API of some Rubyzip classes has been modernized to use named
parameters for optional arguments. Please check your usage of the
following classes:
  * `Zip::File`
  * `Zip::Entry`
  * `Zip::InputStream`
  * `Zip::OutputStream`

Please ensure that your Gemfiles and .gemspecs are suitably restrictive
to avoid an unexpected breakage when 3.0 is released (e.g. ~> 2.3.0).
See https://github.com/rubyzip/rubyzip for details. The Changelog also
lists other enhancements and bugfixes that have been implemented since
version 2.3.0.
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/.......
Resolving dependencies...
Using bundler 2.2.25
Using racc 1.5.2
Using concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Using json 2.5.1
Using mime-types-data 3.2021.0704
Using rack 2.2.3
Using rdoc 6.3.2
Using ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Using nokogiri 1.12.1 (x86_64-linux)
Using mime-types 3.3.1
Using wunderbar 1.4.5
Using tzinfo 2.0.4
Using tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Using whimsy-asf 0.0.77 from source at `.`
Bundle updated!
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/.......
Resolving dependencies...
Using rake 13.0.6
Using Ascii85 1.1.0
Using afm 0.2.2
Using bundler 2.2.25
Using concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Using diff-lcs 1.4.4
Using hashery 2.1.2
Using json 2.5.1
Using racc 1.5.2
Using ruby-rc4 0.1.5
Using ttfunk 1.7.0
Using rack 2.2.3
Using rdoc 6.3.2
Using rspec-support 3.10.2
Using ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Using nokogiri 1.12.1 (x86_64-linux)
Using pdf-reader 2.5.0
Using rspec-core 3.10.1
Using rspec-expectations 3.10.1
Using rspec-mocks 3.10.2
Using tzinfo 2.0.4
Using wunderbar 1.4.5
Using rspec 3.10.0
Using tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Using whimsy-asf 0.0.77 from source at `/srv/whimsy`
Bundle updated!
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/.......
Resolving dependencies...
Using builder 3.2.4
Using bundler 2.2.25
Using concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Using json 2.5.1
Using racc 1.5.2
Using rack 2.2.3
Using rdoc 6.3.2
Using ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Using tzinfo 2.0.4
Using wunderbar 1.4.5
Using tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Using nokogiri 1.12.1 (x86_64-linux)
Using whimsy-asf 0.0.77 from source at `/srv/whimsy`
Bundle updated!
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/............
Resolving dependencies......
Using rake 13.0.6
Using concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Using minitest 5.14.4
Using zeitwerk 2.4.2
Using public_suffix 4.0.6
Using ast 2.4.2
Using bundler 2.2.25
Using mini_mime 1.1.0
Using racc 1.5.2
Using rack 2.2.3
Using regexp_parser 2.1.1
Using childprocess 3.0.0
Using chronic 0.10.2
Using diff-lcs 1.4.4
Using erubis 2.7.0
Using eventmachine 1.2.7
Using execjs 2.8.1
Using ffi 1.15.3
Using json 2.5.1
Using rb-fsevent 0.11.0
Using mustache 1.1.1
Using ruby2_keywords 0.0.5
Using nio4r 2.5.8
Using rdoc 6.3.2
Using rspec-support 3.10.2
Using ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Using rubyzip 2.3.2
Using tilt 2.0.10
Using websocket 1.2.9
Using websocket-native 1.0.0
Using i18n 1.8.10
Using tzinfo 2.0.4
Using addressable 2.8.0
Using nokogiri 1.12.1 (x86_64-linux)
Using rack-test 1.1.0
Using rb-inotify 0.10.1
Using mail 2.7.1
Using mustermann 1.1.1
Using parser 3.0.2.0
Using passenger 6.0.10
Using puma 5.4.0
Using rack-protection 2.1.0
Using rspec-core 3.10.1
Using rspec-expectations 3.10.1
Using rspec-mocks 3.10.2
Using selenium-webdriver 3.142.7
Using websocket-eventmachine-base 1.2.0
Using wunderbar 1.4.5
Using activesupport 6.1.4
Using xpath 3.2.0
Using listen 3.6.0
Using nokogumbo 2.0.5
Using rspec 3.10.0
Using ruby2js 3.6.0
Using rubyXL 3.4.17
Using sinatra 2.1.0
Using tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Using websocket-eventmachine-client 1.3.0
Using websocket-eventmachine-server 1.0.1
Using capybara 3.35.3
Using whimsy-asf 0.0.77 from source at `/srv/whimsy`
Bundle updated!
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/.......
Resolving dependencies...
Using bundler 2.2.25
Using concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Using escape 0.0.4
Using json 2.5.1
Using racc 1.5.2
Using rack 2.2.3
Using rdoc 6.3.2
Using ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Using tzinfo 2.0.4
[...]
Using cliver 0.3.2
Using concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Using diff-lcs 1.4.4
Using execjs 2.8.1
Using ffi 1.15.3
Using nio4r 2.5.8
Using json 2.5.1
Using websocket-extensions 0.1.5
Using rdoc 6.3.2
Using rspec-support 3.10.2
Using ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Using tilt 2.0.10
Using addressable 2.8.0
Using nokogiri 1.12.1 (x86_64-linux)
Using rack-test 1.1.0
Using mail 2.7.1
Using rack-protection 2.1.0
Using rb-fsevent 0.11.0
Using parser 3.0.2.0
Using ruby2_keywords 0.0.5
Using websocket-driver 0.7.5
Using wunderbar 1.4.5
Using puma 5.4.0
Using xpath 3.2.0
Using nokogumbo 2.0.5
Using rspec-core 3.10.1
Using rspec-expectations 3.10.1
Using rspec-mocks 3.10.2
Using tzinfo 2.0.4
Using rb-inotify 0.10.1
Using capybara 3.35.3
Using listen 3.6.0
Using mustermann 1.1.1
Using tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Using poltergeist 1.18.1
Using sinatra 2.1.0
Using rspec 3.10.0
Using ruby2js 3.6.0
Using whimsy-asf 0.0.77 from source at `/srv/whimsy`
Bundle updated!
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/............
Resolving dependencies.....
Using rake 13.0.6
Using ast 2.4.2
Using ffi 1.15.3
Using json 2.5.1
Using concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Using rb-fsevent 0.11.0
Using mini_mime 1.1.0
Using ruby2_keywords 0.0.5
Using racc 1.5.2
Using rack 2.2.3
Using rdoc 6.3.2
Using regexp_parser 2.1.1
Using ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Using tilt 2.0.10
Using rb-inotify 0.10.1
Using parser 3.0.2.0
Using wunderbar 1.4.5
Using rexml 3.2.5
Using mail 2.7.1
Using mustermann 1.1.1
Using nokogiri 1.12.1 (x86_64-linux)
Using passenger 6.0.10
Using rack-protection 2.1.0
Using ruby2js 3.6.0
Using tzinfo 2.0.4
Using crass 1.0.6
Using kramdown 2.3.1
Using listen 3.6.0
Using nokogumbo 2.0.5
Using sinatra 2.1.0
Using tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Using whimsy-asf 0.0.77 from source at `/srv/whimsy`
Using bundler 2.2.25
Using sanitize 5.2.3
Bundle updated!
[...]
Using zip 2.0.2
Using rb-inotify 0.10.1
Using mail 2.7.1
Using pdf-reader 2.5.0
[...]
Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory @ apply2files - /srv/whimsy/www/docs/api
/srv/whimsy/rakefile:358:in `block in <top (required)>'
/srv/whimsy/rakefile:109:in `block in <top (required)>'
/var/lib/gems/2.7.0/gems/rake-13.0.6/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'
Tasks: TOP => rdoc => www/docs/api/index.html
ERROR: 1
rake aborted!
Command failed with status (1): [docker-compose run  --entrypoint 'bash -c ...]
/Users/clr/docker-whimsy/whimsy/Rakefile:380:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/rake-13.0.1/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'
Tasks: TOP => docker:update

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion. My .cshrc was pointing to PATH /usr/local/opt/ruby/bin:/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/bin so I removed them from PATH. Now both gem and bundler are coming from the system.

Still no joy. [1]

Many errors after that one, with the errors not making sense. For example,
An error occurred while installing redcarpet (3.5.1), and Bundler cannot continue.

In Gemfile:
  redcarpet
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/.......
Resolving dependencies...
Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem "bundler":
  In Gemfile:
    bundler (~> 1.3)

  Current Bundler version:
    bundler (2.2.25)

Your bundle requires a different version of Bundler than the one you're running.
Install the necessary version with `gem install bundler:1.17.3` and rerun bundler using `bundle _1.17.3_ update`

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

[1]
Last login: Tue Aug  3 12:28:24 on ttys020
[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% head -1 `which gem`
#!/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/ruby
[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% head -1 `which bundle`
#!/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/ruby
[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% cd /srv/whimsy
whimsy-so-old/ whimsy/
[MacBook-Pro-10:~] clr% cd /srv/whimsy
[MacBook-Pro-10:/srv/whimsy] clr% git pull
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/clr/.ssh/id_rsa':
remote: Enumerating objects: 61, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (61/61), done.
remote: Total 61 (delta 44), reused 44 (delta 27), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (61/61), done.
From github.com:apache/whimsy
   a28206d9..f95c56af  master     -> origin/master
Already up to date.
[MacBook-Pro-10:/srv/whimsy] clr% config/setupmymac
CONFIGURE.md       DOCKER.md          MACOSX.md          Rakefile           UBUNTU.md          config/            examples/          repository.yml     tools/             wunderbar.version
DEPLOYMENT.md      Gemfile            NOTICE             SETUPMYMAC.md      asf.gemspec        doap_Whimsy.rdf    images/            ruby2js.version    vagrant/           www/
DEVELOPMENT.md     LICENSE            README.md          TODOS.md           asf.version        docker/            lib/               secmail.py         vendor/
[MacBook-Pro-10:/srv/whimsy] clr% config/setupmymac

$ rake update
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/.......
Resolving dependencies...
Using builder 3.2.4
Using bundler 2.2.25
Using concurrent-ruby 1.1.9
Using rack 2.2.3
Using rdoc 6.3.2
Fetching json 2.5.1
Using tzinfo 2.0.4
Fetching racc 1.5.2
Fetching ruby-ldap 0.9.20
Using tzinfo-data 1.2021.1
Installing ruby-ldap 0.9.20 with native extensions
Installing json 2.5.1 with native extensions
Installing racc 1.5.2 with native extensions
Gem::Ext::BuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    current directory: /private/var/whimsy/whimsy/tools/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/json-2.5.1/ext/json/ext/generator
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/ruby -I /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0 -r ./siteconf20210804-96155-1idqfwm.rb extconf.rb
creating Makefile

[...]

Gem files will remain installed in /private/var/whimsy/whimsy/tools/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/json-2.5.1 for inspection.
Results logged to /private/var/whimsy/whimsy/tools/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/extensions/universal-darwin-19/2.6.0/json-2.5.1/gem_make.out

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Aug 1, 2021, at 4:47 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> My experience is that reinstalling xcode-select is sometimes
> necessary, but solves the problem.  Unfortunately, this hasn't worked
> for you.

I had to do that recently as well in order to get brew upgrade to work for some installs.
I think one of the recent macOS or Xcode patches messed up all of the command-line
tools, or removed some dependency binaries from the systems, and the way to fix it
was to re-run

   xcode-select --install

on my old 2013 mbp running 10.15.7.

Another potential issue is the version of ruby installed. The system ruby for Catalina
is 2.6.3p62, whereas brew installs 3.0.2.

....Roy

Re: Testing secretary workbench

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 5:18 PM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 at 21:34, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So I had a very old checkout of whimsy in my /srv repository. I cloned a new copy and it started the server and opened a web page to whimsy.local. I went to secretary/workbench and now just have one small issue. I don't recall how I got wunderbar but maybe it's now installed in the wrong place? [2]
> >
> > And bundle update fails. [1]
> >
> > I really really do not want to upgrade my machine...
>
> In which case, Docker may be your friend.

+1

Ruby is provided by MacOSX.
ruby.h is provided by XCode's command line interface (xcode-select)
json is one of the most common gems

If your system can't install the json gem, it is unlikely that you
will be able to run many Ruby applications, and certainly can't run
whimsy.

My experience is that reinstalling xcode-select is sometimes
necessary, but solves the problem.  Unfortunately, this hasn't worked
for you.

Alternatives include containers and VMs, and at the present time there
only are up to date instructions for getting set up with Docker.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  I don't see these problems with node, which is NOT provided with
Mac OSX.  But a rewrite of the workbench application to another
language is a non-trivial effort.

Re: Testing secretary workbench

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
I am running Docker successfully on 15.15.7.

I can also run Whimsy independently, but I did not use setupmymac as
that did not exist at the time.
You do have to be careful to make sure the various tools have
compatible versions.
I have had quite a few issues when upgrading versions.
That does not occur with Docker.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.