Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Julien Cigar <jc...@ulb.ac.be> on 2010/11/25 10:44:40 UTC

[users@httpd] connection is resetting

Hello,

I'm running Apache 2.2.16 with the worker MPM on a FreeBSD 8.1 (amd64)
machine. Apart from the standard modules, I'm using mod_fastcgi and
mod_passenger (2.2.15).
It works well, except that from time to time, about once every two
weeks, Apache refuses to serve requests (even server-status or
server-info) and I get a message in the web client (Firefox) saying that
the connection has been reset.

I notice that it happens just after the following message in the error
log file:
[Wed Nov 24 14:11:55 2010] [error] server reached MaxClients setting,
consider raising the MaxClients setting

This is very strange because the server isn't very loaded and I'm pretty
sure that MaxClients isn't reached.

I'm using the following configuration:
<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
     StartServers        3
     MaxClients          200
     MinSpareThreads     25
     MaxSpareThreads     75
     ThreadsPerChild     25
     MaxRequestsPerChild 10000
</IfModule>

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Julien

Re: [users@httpd] connection is resetting

Posted by Julien Cigar <jc...@ulb.ac.be>.
On 11/25/2010 10:50, Bob.Anstruther@sqa.org.uk wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if it might be a memory leak problem you are seeing,
> monitor your resources, to check if this is the case.

Hello,

I don't think that the problem comes from a memory leak, Apache
processes takes ~15M and /usr/bin/top says:
Mem: 2637M Active, 10G Inact, 1335M Wired, 325M Cache, 1646M Buf, 834M Free

I suspect mod_passenger of doing evil things .. but I can't prove it

Best regards,
Julien

Posted by Bo...@sqa.org.uk.
Hi, I wonder if it might be a memory leak problem you are seeing, monitor
your resources, to check if this is the case.

Thanks,

Robert Anstruther.

Please save a tree. Don't print this message unless you really have to.

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. SQA accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.