Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de> on 2002/05/30 08:10:24 UTC

Re: DBI & win32 (was: question...)

Hi Randy,

> So I may package up my
> perl-5.7.3 build as a binary as well, to go along with
> an updated modperl-2 package ...

Looks like it's time for 5.8.0 to be the official release...

While we are talking about windows, do you have any experiences if DBI works
under windows with mod_perl 2.0?

Thanks

Gerald

Re: DBI & win32 (was: question...)

Posted by Arthur Bergman <ar...@contiller.se>.
On torsdag, maj 30, 2002, at 08:36 , Randy Kobes wrote:

> It would be very nice for the windows stuff - from what Doug
> figured, the problem I was having building modperl2 on Win32 may
> be related to something that has been fixed in perl-5.7.3. And so
> if I make up modperl2 ppm packages based on 5.7.3, chances are
> they won't be compatible with ActivePerl, based on 5.6.1. I could
> make up a perl-5.7.3 binary, but then there might be a problem
> with it using XS-based binary modules built with 5.6.1 (I tried
> installing Tk from ActiveState's ppm repository into my 5.7.3
> tree, but when I used it it complained that it couldn't find
> perl56.dll).

Since there is a perl 5.8RC1 coming this weekend (saturday) it makes
sense to wait.

5.8 is declared not to be binary compatible with previous perls....

Arthur

Re: DBI & win32 (was: question...)

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 30 May 2002, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> > So I may package up my
> > perl-5.7.3 build as a binary as well, to go along with
> > an updated modperl-2 package ...
> >

> Looks like it's time for 5.8.0 to be the official release...

It would be very nice for the windows stuff - from what Doug
figured, the problem I was having building modperl2 on Win32 may
be related to something that has been fixed in perl-5.7.3. And so
if I make up modperl2 ppm packages based on 5.7.3, chances are
they won't be compatible with ActivePerl, based on 5.6.1. I could
make up a perl-5.7.3 binary, but then there might be a problem
with it using XS-based binary modules built with 5.6.1 (I tried
installing Tk from ActiveState's ppm repository into my 5.7.3
tree, but when I used it it complained that it couldn't find
perl56.dll).

> While we are talking about windows, do you have any
> experiences if DBI works under windows with mod_perl 2.0?

I tried it with the current modperl-2 ppm package, and DBI (with
mysql) worked OK ....

best regards,
randy