Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Samuel Queiroz <sa...@samuel.ms> on 2014/08/18 03:45:19 UTC

Plans for Xalan

Hi guys,

What do you think is the greatest need of Xalan currently? Is it 1) XPath
and XSLT 2 support or 2) bug fixes and tests or 3) other? What about having
a roadmap?

How could we get more people motivated to work on Xalan? I think we could
have (on Xalan website) a 'success stories' section and a list of
enterprises/organizations/projects that use and like our project.

What do you think about having an IRC channel to discuss things more
quickly and actively?

Thanks,
Samuel

Re: Plans for Xalan

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
There are plenty of tests:

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Plans for Xalan

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Samuel,

There are plenty of tests: please see
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan/test/branches/xalan-j_2_7_x

Gary

Re: Plans for Xalan

Posted by Samuel Queiroz <sa...@samuel.ms>.
Hi devs,

Re: Plans for Xalan

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Samuel,

I see two immediate needs for Xalan-J:

1) Version 2.7.2 seems to have broken some 2.7.1 clients. That needs to be
addressed in a possible 2.7.3 release. See the ML and JIRA for recent
issues.

2) The trunk code is in an unknown state as far as I can tell. There does
not seem to be anyone around the ML to answer questions. Please dig through
the ML archives for my posts about build issues. In theory a new 2.8 should
come out of trunk, but I do not know what is in there compared to the 2.7.x
branch.

Once we know what we have, then we can decide how to proceed. One option
would be to fold 2.7.2 back into trunk and go from there.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Gary

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Samuel Queiroz <sa...@samuel.ms> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> What do you think is the greatest need of Xalan currently? Is it 1) XPath
> and XSLT 2 support or 2) bug fixes and tests or 3) other? What about having
> a roadmap?
>
> How could we get more people motivated to work on Xalan? I think we could
> have (on Xalan website) a 'success stories' section and a list of
> enterprises/organizations/projects that use and like our project.
>
> What do you think about having an IRC channel to discuss things more
> quickly and actively?
>
> Thanks,
> Samuel

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Plans for Xalan

Posted by sh...@e-z.net.
Samuel,

These are good suggestions.

We need active committers to integrate the bug fixes and current
enhancements into the codebase, and do the testing.

Xalan and Xerces are mature projects.  We need to encourage new
contributors.  There is a demand for XSLT 2 capability for both
the Java and C++ projects.

If you get me some website content (does not need to be
in a markup language), I can integrate the content into our
web page and wiki.

I am planning to be a ApacheCon EU 2014.  My wife is a native
born in Hungary and is going along as a social interpreter.
I hope to encourage some renewed activity for Xalan and Xerces.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway
shathaway@a.o