Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2008/10/19 04:41:13 UTC

Windows Live Spaces spam

I'm seeing a lot of spam today with a throwaway URI from Windows Live
Spaces (spaces.live.com subdomain). I'm considering adding a rule to my
personal server to just drop all mail with WLS links. Is this likely to be
a temporary problem? Does anyone use WLS?

Re: Windows Live Spaces spam

Posted by Ned Slider <ne...@unixmail.co.uk>.
Joseph Brennan wrote:

>> Perhaps someone else could grep their spaces.live.com spam for hits
>> against X-Mailer: Mediacomm Communicator to confirm.
>>

> In our user reports for the past 72 hours,
>
> 44 matched spaces.live.com
> 12 matched mediacomm communicator
>
> All of the 12 mediacomm communicator also matched spaces.live.com.
> Is this a spam product?
>
> The non-mediacomm ones are pretty varied.  I see a few that have
> web servers.  Others claim to be sent by "Microsoft Outlook Express"
> various version numbers.  Some are from hotmail.  One from Yahoo.
> Looks like time to give /spaces\.live\.com/ points by itself.

Thanks :)

Looking back a little further (over the last week) I see quite a few
hits against Mediacomm Communicator (from before the recent
spaces.live.com spree), all of which also contain "Received: (from
tomcat@localhost)". I don't see any ham containing either.

Re: Windows Live Spaces spam

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.

> Perhaps someone else could grep their spaces.live.com spam for hits
> against X-Mailer: Mediacomm Communicator to confirm.

In our user reports for the past 72 hours,

44 matched spaces.live.com
12 matched mediacomm communicator

All of the 12 mediacomm communicator also matched spaces.live.com.
Is this a spam product?

The non-mediacomm ones are pretty varied.  I see a few that have
web servers.  Others claim to be sent by "Microsoft Outlook Express"
various version numbers.  Some are from hotmail.  One from Yahoo.
Looks like time to give /spaces\.live\.com/ points by itself.

Maybe one spam gang uses mediacomm communicator, but word is getting
out about spaces.live.com being friendly.

Joseph Brennan

Re: Windows Live Spaces spam

Posted by Ned Slider <ne...@unixmail.co.uk>.
Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> On 18/10/2008 10:41 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>> I'm seeing a lot of spam today with a throwaway URI from Windows Live
>> Spaces (spaces.live.com subdomain). I'm considering adding a rule to my
>> personal server to just drop all mail with WLS links. Is this likely to
>> be a temporary problem? Does anyone use WLS?
>
> I haven't looked into whether "real people" would have Live Spaces
> sub-domains that look like the ones in the spams.  There aren't any in
> our ham corpus though...
>
> http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/20081017-r705513-n/DOS_LIVE_SPACES_CID/detail
>
> uri DOS_LIVE_SPACES_CID /^http:\/\/cid-.{10,20}\.spaces\.live\.com\/$/
>

> Daryl

All the spam I've seen in the last day or two containing spaces.live.com
URIs have also been sent from X-Mailer: Mediacomm Communicator 1.x

So I'd suggest a meta rule also matching "X-Mailer: Mediacomm
Communicator" and score it high enough to trigger a spam detection.
Something like the following:

header          LOCAL_MEDIACOMM_MUA     X-Mailer =~ /Mediacomm Communicator/
score           LOCAL_MEDIACOMM_MUA     0.1
describe        LOCAL_MEDIACOMM_MUA     Sent from Mediacomm Communicator MUA

uri             LOCAL_URI_SPACES_LIVE   /spaces\.live\.com/
score           LOCAL_URI_SPACES_LIVE   0.1
describe        LOCAL_URI_SPACES_LIVE   contains link to spaces.live.com

meta            LOCAL_SPACES_MEDIACOMM  (LOCAL_URI_SPACES_LIVE &&
LOCAL_MEDIACOMM_MUA)
score           LOCAL_SPACES_MEDIACOMM  4
describe        LOCAL_SPACES_MEDIACOMM   contains link to
spaces.live.com and Mediacomm MUA

Re: Windows Live Spaces spam

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.