Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Holmlund <ha...@excito.se> on 2006/09/13 10:13:36 UTC

Small bug in Entity Engine

There is a small bug in Entity Engine DatabaseUtil. When the metadata is
fetched from the database all column names are converted to capital
letters (DatabaseUtil.java row 1047). But when the entities is checked
if they have a corresponding table (and column) the column names are not
converted to uppercase. Therefore row 206 should look like:

fieldColNames.put(field.getColName().toUpperCase(), field);

/ Hans H

Re: Small bug in Entity Engine

Posted by Hans Holmlund <ha...@excito.se>.
The problem I had was that the DatabaseUtil thought some columns was not
created in the DB. Because the columns were in mixed case they were not
found by row 217 in DatabaseUtil
                            // -list all columns that do not have a
corresponding field
                            if
(fieldColNames.containsKey(ccInfo.columnName)) {
Then they were recreated in row 328 (// -list all fields that do not
have a corresponding column) and onwards.
This does not happen when you define an entity in an xml file, but I
create them dynamically, like:
            ModelField field = new ModelField();
            field.setName(fieldName);
            field.setColName(fieldName);
            field.setType(dbType);

/ Hans

Posted by Florin Jurcovici <fl...@mail.dnttm.ro>.
Hello.

Don't ask for details, it's just a faded memory (I'm not regularly working
with databases), but I seem to remember that some databases always return
column names in upper case when ased about table definitions. In case the
entity engine relies on column names as returned by the database, it might
be a good idea to always enforce all column and table names to be
capitalized.

br,

--
Florin Jurcovici
------------------

Re: Object De-Duplication

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
There is some similar stuff in the catalog manager for creating a
product in a category (if I remember right) that searches for
existing products based on certain information. There isn't anything
special about this type of functionality so I don't think you'll find
any secrets or re-usable code there... this sort of thing is just a
couple of screens for user interaction and some queries to aid in
that interaction...

-David

Object De-Duplication

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
This is an interesting issue, and a little tricky. Right now the
Entity Engine only supports case insensitive database meta data. If
we wanted to support both case sensitive and insensitive databases
we'd need to have it be a configuration parameter (probably an
attribute on the datasource element in the entityengine.xml file),
and then treat each case differently in the code.

I don't think it's possible (well, I can't think of a way...) to
handle both case sensitive and insensitive databases with the same
code without knowing which one we're dealing with.

We also need to keep in mind that the intent of the Entity Engine is
that entity definitions are not database specific, so we can't just
look to see if the column name has mixed case characters or something.

-David

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
David,

--