Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Granwille Strauss <gr...@namhost.com.INVALID> on 2023/10/25 06:21:00 UTC

VM Randomly Freezing

Hi Guys

Any help will be appreciated, my VMs on my KVM hyp (Almalinux 8)
randomly freezes. It does not happen with all of them at once but at
least once a week one VM randomly freezes. It does not respond to
console nor can I check /var/log/libvirt/qemu/i-2-118-VM.log in the KVM
there is nothing. I also check cloudstack and agent logs and I am not
seeing anything obvious. I then investigate the VM too. There too I see
nothing journalctl only has the latest boot information once the VM is
forced reboot via Cloudstack UI, which is the only way I can bring it up
again.

What's also weird, I have Ha enabled for all my VMs it works when I for
example shutdown the VM inside the VM then Ha bring it up again. But in
this case, Ha doesn't seem to detect the VM is in a "frozen" state to
reboot it.

If anyone has had a similar experience before, I will appreciate any
advice to help troubleshoot this, please.

--
Regards / Groete

<https://www.namhost.com> 	Granwille Strauss  // Senior Systems Admin

*e:* granwille@namhost.com
*m:* +264 81 323 1260 <tel:+264813231260>
*w:* www.namhost.com <https://www.namhost.com/>

<https://www.facebook.com/namhost><https://twitter.com/namhost><https://www.instagram.com/namhostinternetservices/><https://www.linkedin.com/company/namhos><https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd5v-kVPaic_dguGur15AA>

<https://www.adsigner.com/v1/l/631091998d4670001fe43ec2/621c9b76c140bb001ed0f818/banner>

Namhost Internet Services (Pty) Ltd,

24 Black Eagle Rd, Hermanus, 7210, RSA

The content of this message is confidential. If you have received it by
mistake, please inform us by email reply and then delete the message. It
is forbidden to copy, forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this
message to anyone without our explicit consent. The integrity and
security of this email cannot be guaranteed over the Internet.
Therefore, the sender will not be held liable for any damage caused by
the message. For our full privacy policy and disclaimers, please go to
https://www.namhost.com/privacy-policy

Powered by AdSigner
<https://www.adsigner.com/v1/c/631091998d4670001fe43ec2/621c9b76c140bb001ed0f818>

Re: VM Randomly Freezing

Posted by Ricardo Pertuz <ri...@kuasar.co.INVALID>.
Check your primary storage, it happened to me and it was at 100%

Atte,

Ricardo Pertuz

Re: VM Randomly Freezing

Posted by Granwille Strauss <gr...@namhost.com.INVALID>.
Thank you for the feedback. The issue is very weird, the KVM host is
under no stress whatsoever while the VM was down. The monitoring tools
we have in place also show zero spikes on the VM load, RAM or network
prior to it "freezing". Virsh in KVM at the time still saw the VM
instance as running, and the fact that I could not find anything in
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/i-2-118-VM.log prob means there's no issue with
libvirt itself. Or was there possible other log locations that I may not
be aware of?

Re: VM Randomly Freezing