Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> on 2003/11/21 06:30:25 UTC

svnadmin load doesn't checkpoint db

After loading a repository, I think the database should be
checkpointed so that the old logs can be removed.  However,
this doesn't appear to be the case.

I ran across this after loading my repos into a new 0.33.1
repository and tried to do an svnadmin hotcopy --clean-logs
to make a backup of the repository, but the repository didn't
get any smaller:

Using svnadmin 0.33.1 try this with any sized repos:

svnadmin create repos
svn co file://`pwd`/repos wc
cd wc
cp -p /lib/libc.so.6 .
svn add libc.so.6
svn ci -m ''
cd ..
svnadmin list-dblogs repos
	repos/db/log.0000000001
	repos/db/log.0000000002
svnadmin list-unused-dblogs repos
	# shows nothing
svnadmin dump repos > repos.dump
svnadmin create repos1
svnadmin load repos1 < repos.dump
svnadmin list-unused-dblogs repos1
	# shows nothing
cd repos1/db/
db_checkpoint -1
svnadmin list-unused-dblogs repos1
	repos1/db/log.0000000001

I'm guessing it's safe to run db_checkpoint -1 manually?

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

Re: svnadmin load doesn't checkpoint db

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Philip Martin wrote:

> Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
>
> > After loading a repository, I think the database should be
> > checkpointed so that the old logs can be removed.  However,
> > this doesn't appear to be the case.
>
> Subversion never forces a checkpoint explicitly, but after every
> commit it asks for a checkpoint to occur if either sufficient time has
> passed since the last checkpoint, or sufficient log data has been
> written (I think the magic numbers are 5 minutes and 1MB).  I guess
> your repository is too small to trigger these limits.

Odd.  My repository is this large

# ls -l repos-266-svn-0.33.1
-rw-------    1 svn-ow   svn-ow   38414710 Nov 20 21:13 repos-266-svn-0.33.1

Best,
Blair

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 00:30, Blair Zajac wrote:
>
> > After loading a repository, I think the database should be
> > checkpointed so that the old logs can be removed.  However,
> > this doesn't appear to be the case.
>
> After updating my client to the HEAD of /trunk yesterday, I had a very
> different experience.  Because I had received the new fs-schema change,
> I had 'svnadmin load' a 6000-revision dumpfile.  After the load was
> finished, 'svnadmin list-unused-dblogs' listed nearly every single log.
>
> Is the new fs code on trunk behaving differently than the fs code in the
> 0.33.X release branch?

I'll try the trunk and see how that works.

Best,
Blair

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.