Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com> on 2005/02/04 08:23:08 UTC

Undefined symbols: svn_ra_*__init

I have a feeling I'm just missing something obvious, but here goes anyway...

I haven't built Subversion from trunk in a while, but I just tried with
gcc 3.4.4 on Linux.  After running autogen.sh and configure
--enable-maintainer-mode on a fresh checkout of the trunk, I get the
following errors while linking the cmdline client:

../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
to `svn_ra_local__init'
../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
to `svn_ra_dav__init'
../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
to `svn_ra_svn__init'

These look like they are new in r12801.  I am somewhat fond of reading
lots of wrapper functions, and I have a mild appreciation for API
deprecation, but I don't have too much time to read a longish commit
message, so I don't know if that commit is for me. :-)

Seriously though, am I doing something wrong?  (Sorry I'm not able to
investigate the code much further on my own right now.)

--
Michael W Thelen
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with

Re: Undefined symbols: svn_ra_*__init

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Michael W Thelen wrote:

> I have a feeling I'm just missing something obvious, but here goes anyway...
>
> I haven't built Subversion from trunk in a while, but I just tried with
> gcc 3.4.4 on Linux.  After running autogen.sh and configure
> --enable-maintainer-mode on a fresh checkout of the trunk, I get the
> following errors while linking the cmdline client:
>
> ../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
> to `svn_ra_local__init'
> ../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
> to `svn_ra_dav__init'
> ../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
> to `svn_ra_svn__init'

It might try to link against already installed RA libraries. Some versions
of libtool seem to have this problem. Try to move those libs away.

Regards,
//Peter

Re: Undefined symbols: svn_ra_*__init

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Philip Martin wrote:
>>../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
>>to `svn_ra_local__init'
>>../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
>>to `svn_ra_dav__init'
>>../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.so: undefined reference
>>to `svn_ra_svn__init'
>
> It looks exactly like Debian bug 291641:

> You can work round the problem by using a different libtool, or by
> deleting/moving the already installed Subversion libraries.

It does look like that was the exact problem (I'm developing on Debian
unstable).  Getting rid of all the installed Subversion libraries did
the trick.  Thank you, Philip and Peter, for your help!

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.