Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Schout <ms...@gkg.net> on 2007/08/03 15:03:17 UTC

Re: Greeting card

Rocco Scappatura wrote:
> It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
> the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?

All of the ones I have received have a url with a numeric ip, followed
by usually a 32 character string in the url (MD5 hash?).

Here is my rule that traps them.  I have not seen any get through after
this:

body     LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  m'http://\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/\?[0-9a-f]{8,}'
describe LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  Body contains postcard scam url
score    LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  3.0

Regards,
Michael Schout

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Michael Schout <ms...@gkg.net>.
Duane Hill wrote:
> There is already a test SA does for a dotted-decimal IP in a URL:

Yeah, I was afraid of false positives by raising the score of that rule.
 So I made my own rule that only matches these specific urls (with the
MD5 sum) instead.

Regards,
Michael Schout

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Michael Schout <ms...@gkg.net>.

Re: Greeting card

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 at 08:03 -0500, mschout@gkg.net confabulated:

> Rocco Scappatura wrote:
>> It is possible to block the spam sent by GreetingCards.com which invites
>> the receiver to access an URL and browse the ecard?
>
> All of the ones I have received have a url with a numeric ip, followed
> by usually a 32 character string in the url (MD5 hash?).
>
> Here is my rule that traps them.  I have not seen any get through after
> this:
>
> body     LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  m'http://\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/\?[0-9a-f]{8,}'
> describe LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  Body contains postcard scam url
> score    LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  3.0

There is already a test SA does for a dotted-decimal IP in a URL:

   NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP

I have its score set to 2.5. It appears the default score is .001.

-------
   _|_
  (_| |

Re: Greeting card

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Michael Schout wrote:

> Here is my rule that traps them.  I have not seen any get through
> after this:
>
> body     LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  m'http://\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/\?[0-9a-f]{8,}'
> describe LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  Body contains postcard scam url
> score    LOCAL_POSTCARD_URL  3.0

That's a useful general rule. Here's a revision as a URI rule rather
than a BODY rule:

describe DQ_URI_ONLY_ARGS  Dotted-Quad URI with only CGI arguments
uri      DQ_URI_ONLY_ARGS  m'^https?://\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/\?[0-9a-f]{8,}'

I've added this into
http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/postcards.cf too.

  ...every time I sit down in front of a Windows machine I feel as
  if the computer is just a place for the manufacturers to put their
  advertising.                                -- fwadling on Y! SCOX
 Tomorrow: The 272nd anniversary of John Peter Zenger's acquittal