Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Christos Stefanidis <xs...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/29 14:24:54 UTC

Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Please see the below request from a volunteer, could we add the po 4.0
files for
Ukrainian on pootle?

/Christos.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
janI wrote:
> On 3 August 2013 13:49, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> 1) For languages that have 3.4.1 but not 4.0.0 in Pootle (e.g., bg or sr):
>> update Pootle-3.4.1 ->  trunk SDF files...
>> 2) For languages that have 4.0.0 in Pootle: update Pootle-4.0.0 ->  trunk
>> SDF files, to get corrections done after 4.0 was released (e.g., de)
>> 3) Import all files, for all the 120+ supported languages, back from SDF
>> to Pootle, in a new "4.0.1" project or in the old 4.0.0 project as
>> Juergen/Jan see best for the sake of releases and the new genLang.
> This is actual a thing in both directions, for 3.4.1 we have lang in pootle
> which are not in sdf, and lang. in sdf which are not in pootle.

This would be fixed by step 1: step 1 would be used to update SDF files
but also to create new ones. Actually, adding a language is much more
than adding a SDF file, but this doesn't need to be addressed now (i.e.,
we can see them just as resources right now, we needn't build OpenOffice
in those languages; and if we have something htat is only in Pootle,
then it is a new language and probably won't be ready for months).

> I am strongly for a 4.0.1 project.

OK. It seems that the 4.0 language updates release and the 4.0.1 bugfix
release could be merged to be the same release, so it makes sense to
prepare Pootle for 4.0.1.

> Just a little advice, once genLang goes live, a number of pootle keys will
> change, so after that point it will not be easy to compare old work with
> new work.

This will need to be properly communicated at due time, so that we don't
risk losing work done by translation volunteers.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Pootle and SDF update actions (Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle)

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 3 August 2013 13:49, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 30/07/2013 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> In general I would tend to synchronize all but I would like to avoid
>> overhead as well. If there is nobody working on a language it will take
>> our time to work with this files for nothing.
>> What do others think? Should we focus on active languages and add
>> further languages on demand only? Or should do a one time shot and
>> synchronize all to remove the sdf files and have everything as po files
>> as part of Jan's work.
>>

> In this moment, the best solution (which requires a lot of work,
> unfortunately; but it would be a one-time update) would be:
>
> 1) For languages that have 3.4.1 but not 4.0.0 in Pootle (e.g., bg or sr):
> update Pootle-3.4.1 -> trunk SDF files as a backup, to save work done so
> far.
>
> 2) For languages that have 4.0.0 in Pootle: update Pootle-4.0.0 -> trunk
> SDF files, to get corrections done after 4.0 was released (e.g., de)
>
> 3) Import all files, for all the 120+ supported languages, back from SDF
> to Pootle, in a new "4.0.1" project or in the old 4.0.0 project as
> Juergen/Jan see best for the sake of releases and the new genLang.

This is actual a thing in both directions, for 3.4.1 we have lang in pootle
which are not in sdf, and lang. in sdf which are not in pootle.

But the result should be all lang in pootle and sdf, identically.

> 4) Remove the old 3.4.1 (and 4.0.0) from Pootle so that we only have one
> active Pootle project, in sync with trunk, and we can immediately use
> volunteers who in the current setting have to wait and can't do anything
> (like, at the moment, sr, sh and bg).

I am strongly for a 4.0.1 project. I would like to keep 4.0 as we released
it (put it RO), this is the only way to see changes easily. when we change
4.0, we need additional info for language BZ issues (when did you download)
to identify the status.

Just a little advice, once genLang goes live, a number of pootle keys will
change, so after that point it will not be easy to compare old work with
new work.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 30/07/2013 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> In general I would tend to synchronize all but I would like to avoid
> overhead as well. If there is nobody working on a language it will take
> our time to work with this files for nothing.
> What do others think? Should we focus on active languages and add
> further languages on demand only? Or should do a one time shot and
> synchronize all to remove the sdf files and have everything as po files
> as part of Jan's work.

In this moment, the best solution (which requires a lot of work,
unfortunately; but it would be a one-time update) would be:

1) For languages that have 3.4.1 but not 4.0.0 in Pootle (e.g., bg or
sr): update Pootle-3.4.1 -> trunk SDF files as a backup, to save work
done so far.

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by "Kieth N. McKenna" <me...@yahoo.com>.
Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 7/30/13 9:05 AM, janI wrote:

>>> I don't think so, I would prefer to continue on the current project for
>>> simplification reasons.
>>>
>>> A 4.0.1 will contain fixes only and no new UI elements. And corrected or
>>> further translation, I see no demand for a new translation project on
>>> Pootle. But we should of course bring all languages in sync with the
>>> latest templates. Means merge what we have against the latest templates
>>> of AOO 4.0 (a lot of work that I don't have at the moment)

>>> I am not sure if I understand what you mean exactly. Can you explain it
>>> in detail please.
>>>
>> Currently we have sdf files, not converted to po files (present in pootle
>> server).
>>
>> We also have po files in pootle at least not synchronized with the sdf
>> files (or in some cases the sdf files does not exist).
>>
>> We should have
>> 1) source consistent with sdf (extract)
>> 2) sdf files consistent with pootle server
>>
>> "just" as sync. job, but important.
>>
>> Today, when I run test, I have to use sdf for some part, po files for
>> other, and in the cases where there are conflict, I have  to guess what is
>> right.
> Ok I see and understand and I am not sure how we should handle this
> best. Having all sdf synchronized to current templates and available as
> po files would be good. On the other hand we want active translation
> communities only and the question is if we should add them on demand or
> simply because there is an sdf file already.
>
> In general I would tend to synchronize all but I would like to avoid
> overhead as well. If there is nobody working on a language it will take
> our time to work with this files for nothing.
>
> What do others think? Should we focus on active languages and add
> further languages on demand only? Or should do a one time shot and
> synchronize all to remove the sdf files and have everything as po files
> as part of Jan's work.
>
> Juergen

Given that the move is towards a new translation process that will
deprecate the sdf files, it would make sense from a pure process
perspective to do a one time synchronization as part of the process
change over. This would eliminate the need to maintain the older sdf
based process as all of the languages that used that process would be
available to begin being worked on at the time of the process change
over. As Rob pointed out, it would also give volunteers a better feel
for what remains to be done for a particular language.

Whenever a large scale change takes place that  could disrupt a released
product it is best, in my opinion, to err on the side of caution. In
this case I would recommend leaving the current 4.0 poodle project as is
and creating a new project for the re-sync.

The question then comes down to are there enough resources, i.e.
volunteers, to complete the needed work in a timely fashion. Not being
conversant with the work involved I cannot comment on that portion.

Regards
Keith

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 7/30/13 3:35 PM, janI wrote:
> On 30 July 2013 15:03, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:33 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> 4.0

>> make

>> or

>> pootle

>> is
>>>
>>> Ok I see and understand and I am not sure how we should handle this
>>> best. Having all sdf synchronized to current templates and available as
>>> po files would be good. On the other hand we want active translation
>>> communities only and the question is if we should add them on demand or
>>> simply because there is an sdf file already.
>>>
>>> In general I would tend to synchronize all but I would like to avoid
>>> overhead as well. If there is nobody working on a language it will take
>>> our time to work with this files for nothing.
>>>
>>> What do others think? Should we focus on active languages and add
>>> further languages on demand only? Or should do a one time shot and
>>> synchronize all to remove the sdf files and have everything as po files
>>> as part of Jan's work.
>>>

>> Having all the languages in Pootle makes it easier for potential
>> volunteers to see what is already started and how much more work is
>> needed.  So it could be useful.   But I'd probably avoid any
>> unnecessary changes in the 4.0 project.  We want to keep that stable
>> in case we do a 4.0.1 releases.  In other words, I consider that 4.0,
>> in Pootle and in SVN, is still in Release Blocker only mode.   Of
>> course, the trunk is the Wild Wild West.

Well it depends how you see it, Imacat for example worked on Pootle to
complete the translation for zh-TW and other fixed problems in their
language.

I would see Pootle as tool only that help us to get an overview where we
are and that translators can use to do their work. Comparable to an editor.

We can easy rename the 4.0 project to the next coming release or 4.x and
can continue to work with them. We will take regular snapshots (TBD) and
continue this into svn.

The only release relevant source is in svn.

I have added Ukrainian

Juergen

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Ukrainian 4.0 Pootle

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 7/29/13 2:24 PM, Christos Stefanidis wrote:
> Please see the below request from a volunteer, could we add the po 4.0
> files for
> Ukrainian on pootle?

yes, I will work on this

Juergen