Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Tim Carroll <ti...@boomboom.com> on 2000/08/29 21:48:01 UTC

EmbperlFilter startup weirdness

Greetings all,

I never noticed this in my error_log before I upgraded to the most
recent Apache/mod_perl/Embperl(beta)-- but on Apache startup I get the
following when I invoke Apache::EmbperlFilter in http.conf:

Constant subroutine dbgAll redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgAllCmds redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgCacheDisable redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgCmd redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgDefEval redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgEarlyHttpHeader redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgEnv redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgEval redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgFlushLog redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgFlushOutput redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgForm redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgFunc redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine dbgHeadersIn redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
[... 74 lines deleted for brevity ...]
Constant subroutine rcUnknownVarType redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcVirtLogNotSet redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcWriteErr redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcXNotSet redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcCallInputFuncFailed redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcCallOutputFuncFailed redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcSubNotFound redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcCGIError redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcUnclosedHtml redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcUnclosedCmd redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
Constant subroutine rcNotAllowed redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm line 175.
[Tue Aug 29 03:26:48 2000] [notice] Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24 configured -- resuming normal operations

For testing purposes, all I need to do is start Apache with
"PerlModule Apache::EmbperlFilter" for the above result. Otherwise, I
get the same messages when it is invoked in <Location></Location>, for
example: "PerlHandler Apache::SandwichFilter Apache::EmbperlFilter".

Otherwise, my setup seems to work as planned, though maybe this is
why an Embperl-heavy page that I just imported to this server won't
work? First things first, I am checking the modules.

I wondered if my Apache::EmperlFilter was out of step with new
developments-- I installed the thing sometime in January-- so I looked
around for it last night and without success. Has EmbperlFilter been
withdrawn from CPAN or from the Embperl or Filter distribution I most
likely obtained it? I was surprised to find no trace of it beyond the
occasional debuggery queries to mail lists.

I apologize if this subject has been addressed before by this list. I
am just joining today.

Thanks for your help,

--
Tim
tim@boomboom.com

Re: EmbperlFilter startup weirdness

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> I never noticed this in my error_log before I upgraded to the most
> recent Apache/mod_perl/Embperl(beta)-- but on Apache startup I get the
> following when I invoke Apache::EmbperlFilter in http.conf:
>
> Constant subroutine dbgAll redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/constant.pm
line 175.

These are warnings, they normaly occur when you set FreshRestart to on. You
can safely ignore them.
Turning FreshRestart to off, should also turn off these warnings.

> Otherwise, my setup seems to work as planned, though maybe this is
> why an Embperl-heavy page that I just imported to this server won't
> work? First things first, I am checking the modules.

PerlFreshRestart makes trouble with some Perl modules, so you may turn it
off and try it again.

> I wondered if my Apache::EmperlFilter was out of step with new
> developments-- I installed the thing sometime in January-- so I looked
> around for it last night and without success. Has EmbperlFilter been
> withdrawn from CPAN or from the Embperl or Filter distribution I most
> likely obtained it? I was surprised to find no trace of it beyond the
> occasional debuggery queries to mail lists.

EmbperlFilter was just send as a mail to the mod_perl mailing list. It never
had made it way to CPAN :-(
There is nothing changed in Embperl, which should make it incompatible with
that version of EmbperlFilter

> I apologize if this subject has been addressed before by this list. I
> am just joining today.

In such a case you may search the archive
http://www.ecos.de/~mailarc/embperl/

Gerald

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151