Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net> on 2002/10/17 13:50:41 UTC

Getting to know VHR's VCR, was Re: using slide client (run.sh) to access slide server a

Hi Jean-Philippe,

at first I'd like to thank you very much for responding.

Please see intermixed.

Andreas

On 17 Oct 2002 at 13:15, Jean-Philippe Courson wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> > Hi Jean-Philippe,
> >
> > you're right, thanks. I didn't make my point clear enough.
> >
> > I base ACL on groups, with a dynamic number of groups. Users can
> > belong to more than one group. There arise two issues:
> >
> > 1. I would have to list all groups who are not allowed, possibly
> > a rather large number.
> >
> > 2. Users, who belong to a blocked group, will be blocked, even
> > if they belong to a group which isn't. At least it should be
> > like that if denied permissions win over granted ones.
>
> You are rigth. Users can only belong to one group per subtree.
>
> > So what I do is:
> >
> > - Set scope (in web.xml) to /files,
> > - give all inheritable permissions on /history for everybody
> > - set ACL entry for a newly created VHR based on the ACL of the
> > VCR or parent of the VCR
> > - browse /history and serve history versions with my own
> > servlets, which check permissions themselves based on the ACL
> > entries of the VHR (no inheritance, not the parents)
>
> You can also avoid to set ACLs on /history and verify permissions
> with your own servlet by verifying VR's associated VCR permissions.

Yes, that's what I thought, too. There arose the problem to find
out the VCR. As I had seen this can not as easily be done as the
other way around, i.e. get to know the VHR of a VCR by reading
DAV:checked-in and DAV:checked-out properties.

Julian Reschke were so nice to point me to the relevant point in
the specs
(http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3253.html#rfc.section.5.4),
which seems rather complicated for me to use within a programme
making use of Slide (Server) API.

But because I'm still interested in a solution to find out VHR's
VCR for another reason I would appreciate hints for this.

Thanks.

Andreas

> Regards
>
> Jp
>
> > I think there will be problems with versioning-aware
> > WebDAV/DeltaV clients. But I think I can live with this. All I
> > need is a basic means of versioning and WebDAV-access only for
> > the current version.
> >
> > Andreas

deleted older messages

Re: Getting to know VHR's VCR, was Re: using slide client (run.sh) to access slide server a

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi Jean-Philippe,

at first I'd like to thank you very much for your responses. I
really appreciate these, as they give some new ideas and input
to my project. It's a good idea to pass the VCR url instead of
the VHR url. I think I'll change my code as soon as I find the
time to do it.

Bye then.

Andreas

Posted by Jean-Philippe Courson <ju...@apache.org>.