Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark <st...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/14 05:15:10 UTC

Re: Very high load

Changing the subject. Its not related to after replication. It only
appeared after indexing an extra field which increased our index size
from 12g to 20g+

Re: Very high load

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/13/2010 9:15 PM, Mark wrote:
>> No cache warming queries and our machines have 8g of memory in them
>> with about 5120m of ram dedicated to so Solr. When our index is
>> around 10-11g in size everything runs smoothly. At around 20g+ it
>> just falls apart.

I just replied to your new email thread, called "Need some guidance on
solr-config settings."  Then I saw this.

I'd recommend two things in addition to the autoWarmCount reductions I
mentioned in the other thread.  The first is shrink your Solr memory
footprint.  Reduce the size of your caches and your max heap size so you
have more RAM available for the operating system disk cache.  If you
find that you can't reduce your max heap size very much because you are
using memory-hungry Solr features like complex faceting, we come to the
second recommendation, which is to install more memory.  16GB would be a
good start, but the more you can get, the better.  Referring back to my
Solr installation, each shard has 9GB of RAM, with a max heap size of
only 2GB.  This leaves 7GB for the disk cache, slightly less than half
the index size.  At this time, I am not doing anything real complex with
Solr, but all of the faceting tests that I have done work with no memory
trouble.

Anything that you can do to decrease the index size is also a good
idea.  Only store enough information in your index to populate the
initial search results screen.  When your users open a particular search
result, have your application grab all the detail information from the
original data source, not Solr.